Ruiner (Cyberpunk Action Shooter)

Looks good to me, loved the trailer too

Added it to my wishlist too. Looks like fun, and I can't really say no to anything that panders to my Cyberpunk interests.

Loaded was a very fun game. Used to play it a lot.

Is this out yet? I've had a scratch I haven't been able to itch very well since crusader no remorse/no regret and this looks like it might be the answer

Woah, flashback to Crusader series (No Remorse, No Regret) in a Cyberpunk way with better controls. Added to my Steam wishlist.

Also following The Last Night. It looks like kind of a Cyberpunk version of Flashback. I'm really enjoying this genre's return as of late.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
$20, tops, for this? Hard to imagine going wrong the way this all looks.

I love overhead games, as long as they are well executed. 3/4 overhead or isometric, as long as the graphics are well drawn/rendered. If you can rotate the view, even better. Then again, I guess you could apply the same thing to any type of visual orientation though. I like first and third person games, side-scrollers, etc. too as long as they are done well. :D I guess I just like good games. hehehe

Wonder why IGN gave it a 6. The rest look pretty good, and the Steam reviews are pretty good as well. Definitely looks to be worth $20 to me. I'm in.

This game on hard, is legitimately fucking hard. Like, you die. A LOT.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/ruiner-review-seeing-red-killing-time/

I could see where a controller might be a better option for a game like this. I'm starting to see a growing consensus along those lines.

I could see that too actually for any twin-stick game really. Not just because they're made that way. There are 2D action games (classically speaking) that worked pretty well using the mouse for aiming. Abuse comes to mind among other more modern ones. However, I do find that two sticks for this type of game or side scrollers even that require angled aiming typically feel better to me. I do play most of my 2D games in the living room on the TV, so maybe I've grown accustomed to it, but I do feel like it works better in most cases these days.

That said, nothing beats two "competition style" arcade sticks and good old Robotron 2084. :D I built a dual stick with that game solely in mind once. It was lovely. Shouldn't have sold it.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Quick question to the guys who are playing this; does the game get its replayability and general "time it takes to complete" primarily from its difficulty?

I love rougelike games like Dark Cell, Enter the Gungeon, and Rogue Legacy not just because they were difficult, but because each play through was different.

Quick question to the guys who are playing this; does the game get its replayability and general "time it takes to complete" primarily from its difficulty?

I love rougelike games like Dark Cell, Enter the Gungeon, and Rogue Legacy not just because they were difficult, but because each play through was different.

Not sure, because I'm picking it up today. I can post back after I give it some hours. Side note though, if you like the roguelike games, but also like a touch more consistency within those parameters, and a bit more of a story, I highly recommend checking out Songbringer if you haven't (for overhead) and Sundered if you like side-scroller. Two of the best games I've played recently, and they both provide the best aspects of roguelike/lite with the best aspects of more set/linear/story based games.

This game doesnt have consequences from dying like Roguelikes. You literally just repeat the battle that you died in and keep going. That being said, it's incredibly difficult on hard mode. As far as replayability - gonna say a big NO here. Probably a one and done for me, although it is pretty enjoyable for what it is.

Once you've finished with this one, this one seems cool if you're looking for more twin-stick shooting.

I picked it up not too long ago. I've only played a few minutes, because I was in the middle of another game, but the game play is very polished, the shooting is excellent, the music is cool, and the effects are pretty amazing. I plan to play it more in the near future myself. It's better for more of a Robotron fix, but it's sci-fi-twin-stick-with-dashing and hints of maybe what I'd call Arcade-Cyberpunk-UltraLite-With-Evil-Robots. :D

Not sure, because I'm picking it up today. I can post back after I give it some hours. Side note though, if you like the roguelike games, but also like a touch more consistency within those parameters, and a bit more of a story, I highly recommend checking out Songbringer if you haven't (for overhead) and Sundered if you like side-scroller. Two of the best games I've played recently, and they both provide the best aspects of roguelike/lite with the best aspects of more set/linear/story based games.

I was initially drawn to this for the steampunk atmosphere, but Sundered looks right up my alley as well. *Added to cart*

This game doesnt have consequences from dying like Roguelikes. You literally just repeat the battle that you died in and keep going. That being said, it's incredibly difficult on hard mode. As far as replayability - gonna say a big NO here. Probably a one and done for me, although it is pretty enjoyable for what it is.

That probably boots me out of this, then. I'm a cheap fuck when it comes to games, and $20 is pushing it for me for -no- replayability.

Back