'rugged' computer??

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
I had a request today from a guy wanting a 'rugged' laptop.... he doesn't know alot about machines, and all he cares is that it has a card reader, webcam, and is rugged....

I know 'BEFORE' the thinkpads were extrememly strong machines.... are they still?? Has Lenovo 'softed' them up??

Another ideas besides the THinkpad?? We are looking in the 1200 or less range...

Thanks.

Panasonic Toughbook is probably your best bet but I don't know if $1200 can do it.

the toughbook is a niche product. sounds like this guy just wants a notebook that is tough, not necessarily the toughest.

I had an Acer that lasted though a year and 2 months in Iraq with me. Go to a store and touch a few. Avoid the sony vaio sz, mine feels really delicate.

Dell do a line of their Lattitudes named 'ATG' which are Semi-Ruggidised laptops, might be just the thing.

Yeah. lenovo thinkpads are *more* rugged than IBM ones thanks to the roll-cage and some advancements in materials science with the magnesium alloy

:eek:

My bad on the Toughbook rec...

+1 on the Lenovo T-series.

Ok, that is what I already told him... Lenovo T-series... just wanted to make sure I was right.

Thanks.

Just get a real nice tough case to carry it in, there are even waterproof ones.

The thinkpads are tougher than ever in my experience. I have an X61S and it has proven very durable.

Ok... this thing officially rocks.... what a smoking machine.... the dual 2.53 is a monster, and the HD is significantly faster than my FORMER fastest 7200RPM mobile drive, the Seagate 160GB 7200RPM......

Lenovo T61p.
/thread

I just bought one and I tend to agree. The only thing on the machine that doesn't feel rock solid is the plastic panel where the palmrests/touchpad are. You remove that panel to get to the ram and such, so it has to be easy to remove, but it feels a little flimsy to me. That is one minor complaint about an otherwise very durable, tough machine.

Back