RTX IO - Direct Storage

Shadowarez

Gawd
has anyone heard anything further on Microsoft Direct Storage or RTX IO seems to have died down in the news as i thought this would be serious improvement in loading games and if possible dev work in UE5. already tested exporting work to ramdisk holy ! she is fast but if could use gpu vram thatd be another interesting avenue.

It sounds like it's still something that game developers are going to have to code for. The good news in that respect is that the new Xbox supports DirectStorage, which makes it a LOT more likely that game developers will eventually use it. The bad news is that people can't even buy a new Xbox in most cases due to availability issues. Similarly, Nvidia seems like it's trying to tie RTX IO to their 3000 series cards, which are even more difficult to buy. So for those reasons I think we are still a couple of years off from seeing this be adopted in mainstream titles. I hope I'm wrong.

what i gathered as well was hoping this was something MS was going to bring in a update and have it in the Os for when amd/nvidia were ready to fully implement it. ill wait on this then was hoping as i seen you can request access from nvidia to tinker with what they have already in testing. sounds like with my current rig itd be super potent. but as you said access to hardware capable of even utilizing it is really dependent on supply.

once this abates a bit and there is broader adoption it may kick into high gear hopefully.

Back