RTX 3070 overclocking

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Recently received an EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra. Out of the box this one has the clock set to 1770 MHz, memory 7001 MHz. This model here.

Looking to OC it further than the stock settings. Don't need to push the card to its limits, but I am assuming I can squeeze some extra performance out of it. What is a realistic core & memory clock most 3070s can attain to start with? I am assuming I can just up the power limit and not mess around with voltage?

For my RTX 2070 & 1070 I just set the power limit to the max, and upped the core & memory clock a bit to whatever the HardOCP benchmarks recommended at the time. Which was pretty much the limit of where I could push those cards for stability.

For stability testing, what is the best program to use these days?

Is there a need to overclock? Are you having issues with low FPS in some games?

Because if I can get a little bit of extra performance, why not?
First, the core clock is dynamic and goes up and down according to demand. Even that default is 17xxMHz i saw mine bumping to 1995MHz or go down to 1300MHz still providing 150+ FPS.
Second, 3070 is blazing fast at 1440p. Adding 5 more FPS that don't make any difference at a cost of higher temps and power consumption is foolish decision.

If you want to keep it simple just use Afterburner and max out the power and temp limits. That will pretty much give you 98% of what the card can do anyway in most cases.

Just max out the temp and power limits and go from there and start upping the core until it is no longer stable. Yes the new Nvidia GPU's boost clocks dynamically but that does not mean overclocking does nothing. On the contrary, despite the GPU banging against PWR Limit I kept getting noticeably higher scores in Unigine Superposition 8K as I increased the Core clocks all the way up to +225, after which it was no longer stable and crashed the benchmark. So despite hitting Power (and VRel) limits all the time the overclock was clearly doing something tangible and measurable, at least in Benchmark. Not yet sure about games though, I have not benchmarked my card there yet.

Right now I am sitting at +190 Core and +900 memory clocks, so far it seems to be stable. To my surprise games are not crashing despite the rather huge core increase.

Just max out the temp and power limits and go from there and start upping the core until it is no longer stable. Yes the new Nvidia GPU's boost clocks dynamically but that does not mean overclocking does nothing. On the contrary, despite the GPU banging against PWR Limit I kept getting noticeably higher scores in Unigine Superposition 8K as I increased the Core clocks all the way up to +225, after which it was no longer stable and crashed the benchmark. So despite hitting Power (and VRel) limits all the time the overclock was clearly doing something tangible and measurable, at least in Benchmark. Not yet sure about games though, I have not benchmarked my card there yet.

Right now I am sitting at +190 Core and +900 memory clocks, so far it seems to be stable. To my surprise games are not crashing despite the rather huge core increase.

What are the base clocks on your GPU?

I did +100 core and + 800 memory. So far it looks good. Did an hour of gaming in CoD MW with ray tracing without issue, but that is only one game.

In benchmarks for BL3, Shadow of The Tomb Raider and AC Odyssey I saw a few frame rate gains. No issues but the benchmarks tend to be short.

What are the base clocks on your GPU?

I did +100 core and + 800 memory. So far it looks good. Did an hour of gaming in CoD MW with ray tracing without issue, but that is only one game.

In benchmarks for BL3, Shadow of The Tomb Raider and AC Odyssey I saw a few frame rate gains. No issues but the benchmarks tend to be short.

1500 base and 1770 boost, according to Google. Now the boost clocks hang around 2050mhz and 1950mhz.

After looking at reviews and testing my 3070, i dont think it really makes sense to overclock it. You are generating a lot more power draw and heat for maybe a 5 to 10 fps gain. Max out the target power and temp and leave it at that.

Back