RROD solved?

Old news really. The only thing they need to do now is stop giving old refurbs to people that send their machines in for repair.

I think the general idea was if you had an older Zephyr unit (the originals) or even the more current Falcon units (pre-Jasper) if you did suffer from the RROD and you sent it in as an actual warranty repair they'd "upgrade" you to the later/latest version of the hardware, but this video is a bit old so, who knows what they're doing now.

I do know they're cranking out Jasper units like crazy, and with the basic $199.99 Arcade price they're selling quite well from what I've seen at the Fry's here in Vegas. Was there a few days ago watching some people play SFIV on the demo units and I noted about 15 people picking up Arcade packages in a 20 minute period of time so, they're selling...

Just wish I could do a swap for a Jasper myself with this Zephyr unit I have that belongs to a friend. He asked me to get the RROD "fixed" and while I've done the X-clamp fix and resolved that issue (apparently), it still overheats when gaming - the Dashboard, movies, Netflix streams, all that stuff works fine, but fire up a game and that GPU temp just skyrockets and nothing I've been able to do will resolve it.

I just keep telling him to cough up the moolah for a new Arcade unit that runs fairly cool due to the Jasper mobo and setup but he ain't going for it just yet.

cliffs for those of us at work?

The video was completely uninformative. The woman in it basically says that while doing an interview with Edge Online, group product manager Aaron Greenberg said that they made improvments to the way they handle repairs, and because of general improvements in technology, the RRoD should be a thing of the past... and that's it... The video is didn't even hit one minute in length, and gave no details.

Still waiting for my launch day unit to RROD.

Consider yourself very very fortunate, seriously. I see people that have such luck that will trash everyone else about "taking care of their stuff" when in reality - seriously - it's a hit or miss thing. The Xbox 360 is defective by design considering the operating temps, but no two coming off the assembly line are ever exactly the same.

I've had many products over the years that lasted me incredibly long periods of time and other people buying the same thing almost at the same time (friends, family) have nothing but issues - and those people take care of their stuff anyway just as I do.

It's truly one of the worst hit or miss situations I've ever encountered.

But it has nothing to do with "taking care of my stuff" as some people out there on forums love to harp on about. If you've never seen the RROD on your own hardware, you're lucky, you really are. But it can still happen... ;)

yay, just in time for next-gen consoles

yeah i'm talking out of my ass, i dont know when to even expect the next gen consoles; still my point is, it took them pretty long to get it right(er).

i had a close-to-launch console, and it rrod-ed within a year, got another back - still a xenon, but it's been working fine for 1.5 years

I received a brand new unit when I sent mine in for RRoD repair. Had a build date the month prior.

Well since I'm currently on #6 I always feel a need to chime in on these RRoD threads so... I doubt very seriously they've fixed the problem completely, I honestly hope the RRoD stuff continues because they really deserve to get as much bad press from this shit as possible and maybe, just maybe when the 720 or whatever is next for them will be built like a tank.

And we don't get another half assed engineered product at the customers expense just so they can have better market share than thier competitor's.

It's mostly been fixed since the Falcon revision. You still see a few here and there but nothing like the original numbers. It's like saying that the PS3 has a problem because a few of them stop reading discs or get YLOD.

By the way, you're a cnut for wishing RRoD on people... and I appreciate that's not a very nice thing to say but seriously man, WTF.

It will be interesting to see what they do with my recently RROD machine. I sent it in last week, and this weekend, I got an email saying that machine was coming back. I had one of the very early 360 Premium models - the first non elites to have HDMI.

I'll post back here when I actually get it to see if they just sent out a new box... The turn around time seems to be INSANELY quick.

I can't wait to get it back, because the DVD player I'm using in it's place sucks - the 360 upscales very nicely over the VGA connection.

Still waiting for my launch day unit to RROD.

speaking of which mine just went today. about 3 days ago i went to play mass effect, spent maybe 15 minutes playing and it froze, then kept freezing on dashboard. I went to try and play again today and finally got the RROD, we never used it all that much maybe a couple hours every other day and then a month or so without use, but i had hoped we were past the RROD possibility

the extended warranty is over too i guess. i'll probably just try the removing HS thing

Have two friends that have launch day Zephyr systems. One went to Iraq and the other staid in dusty Nevada and both are still kicking without ever RROD'ing. So I believe that like anything, they are hit and miss, just picked up a Jasper based Arcade myself last week from the 20% off Dell Coupon. Now to get myself an hdd and mic and I will be good to go.

if it is a hit and miss , then lasting 3 years would be a hit you'd think. i believe more in the it will happen , just when.

It's mostly been fixed since the Falcon revision. You still see a few here and there but nothing like the original numbers. It's like saying that the PS3 has a problem because a few of them stop reading discs or get YLOD.

By the way, you're a cnut for wishing RRoD on people... and I appreciate that's not a very nice thing to say but seriously man, WTF.

I would never wish someone's console to break but in the same sense I don't think the Rrod should be just swept under the rug if the new Jasper's do in fact fix the problem.

Trust me go through a couple and you'll see what I mean.;)

Have two friends that have launch day Zephyr systems. One went to Iraq and the other staid in dusty Nevada and both are still kicking without ever RROD'ing. So I believe that like anything, they are hit and miss, just picked up a Jasper based Arcade myself last week from the 20% off Dell Coupon. Now to get myself an hdd and mic and I will be good to go.

Xenon were the launch day consoles.
Zephyr's were the HDMI models with epoxy around the edges of the chips. :D

I have a Zephyr Elite still going strong, but my launch xenon died after 6 months and it's replacement died 6 months later. I also picked up a jasper arcade and its amazing how much cooler it runs. The exhaust is significantly cooler and the fan stays throttled down. The fan is still noisy though.

i know i won't , i thought i was safe after 3 years , and instead i find that it was just a matter of time. it's a bit disheartening when you think you have an ok unit when you probably should have rma'd it "just in case" a year ago.

Why don't the people who have had multiple RRODs just do the x-clamp mod?

Yeah besides warranty, X-clamp is only part of the problem. All 360's still have X-clamps and I believe the failure rate has gone down every revision so I don't think its the only cause of the problem.

Let me count the ways (we've all seen these a billion times it seems):

- Bad cooling (the fans should blow IN not out pushing cold air over the heatsinks instead of drawing already pre-heated air across already hot fins... it's just defective by design). Least they could have done was put another case fan blowing/forcing colder air into the unit, like at the top just in front of the hard drive (that damned thing, the hard drive itself in the mount is ridiculously large, it could be half that big and still be 100% functional, the freakin' thing is mostly empty anyway.

- The fact that the mobo isn't sitting/mounted flat in the case (the two center standoffs front and back are 4.5mm high and the outside edge standoffs/the ledge is 3.75mm so the damned board is bowed to begin with)

- The cheaper than cheap solder quality that - because of the overheating - which causes the microcracks in the pathways over time because of expansion and cooling is a big big part of the RRoD issues

- Shall I go on? :)

Having lowered powered chips in the Jasper unit is a big step in the right direction but, it still doesn't alleviate the fact that the damned thing is just defective by design. I'll bet if you ramped a Jasper up to 203 watts and cranked the power consumption up you'd gradually develop the same issues all the RROD folks have had for years.

And for all those "oh just take better care of your stuff and you won't have this problem" folks... go read through forums to see just how many launch day owners felt that way and said that constantly for <insert random period of time here> and laughed at those with the issues until that fateful day which will come sooner or later when yours greets you with the RROD...

I'm glad I never bought one. Been trying to do an X-clamp fix on one for a friend the past week or so, got all the parts, the washers, the screws, etc, put it together and success!!! Until of course I put in a real game and the GPU temp skyrockets then it freezes and we're still dead in the water.

The X-clamp fix and all the people that helped develop it over the years are to be commended, certainly, but it doesn't last from what I've been reading the past few weeks across multiple forums. Sooner or later the heat issues just cause more microcracks and there's nothing that can really be done after that.

If you get the RROD on an older unopened unmodded unit and you're already out of warranty, check Craig's List in your area - you might find a local person that can reflow the chips properly with an SMD oven. We've got one guy here in Vegas/Henderson that does it, does all the repairs for all the shops here and I've spoken with a few dozen of his clients - they all say since they had him "fix" their issues they've never had another problem.

I think the general idea was if you had an older Zephyr unit (the originals) or even the more current Falcon units (pre-Jasper) if you did suffer from the RROD and you sent it in as an actual warranty repair they'd "upgrade" you to the later/latest version of the hardware, but this video is a bit old so, who knows what they're doing now.

I do know they're cranking out Jasper units like crazy, and with the basic $199.99 Arcade price they're selling quite well from what I've seen at the Fry's here in Vegas. Was there a few days ago watching some people play SFIV on the demo units and I noted about 15 people picking up Arcade packages in a 20 minute period of time so, they're selling...

Just wish I could do a swap for a Jasper myself with this Zephyr unit I have that belongs to a friend. He asked me to get the RROD "fixed" and while I've done the X-clamp fix and resolved that issue (apparently), it still overheats when gaming - the Dashboard, movies, Netflix streams, all that stuff works fine, but fire up a game and that GPU temp just skyrockets and nothing I've been able to do will resolve it.

I just keep telling him to cough up the moolah for a new Arcade unit that runs fairly cool due to the Jasper mobo and setup but he ain't going for it just yet.

lucky, i just went through all that bull crap to fix it, and guess what, RROD when i turn it on again....

Any ideas?

lucky, i just went through all that bull crap to fix it, and guess what, RROD when i turn it on again....

Any ideas?

Yah, sell it if you can and get a Jasper unit. :( Seriously, there just doesn't seem to be much hope for units once they experience an RROD. You might be able to resolve it with the X-clamp fix, for a period of time, then something else will crop up. On this one I still have no long term success on, I'm getting error 0110 which is memory overheating, and that's just crazy as I've got the board outside the case, with fans directly attached to each heatsink, and I even mounted some Zalman RAM sinks on each RAM module, a set of these:

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5591560

They're attached to each memory chip with Arctic Silver Ceramique (they ain't coming off, ever) and they run ice freakin' cold, but the unit still gives off the 0110 memory overheating error so I'm basically going to give up on it and call it a learning experience.

The guy just needs to go buy a Jasper, that's all there is to it. :)

Yah, sell it if you can and get a Jasper unit. :( Seriously, there just doesn't seem to be much hope for units once they experience an RROD. You might be able to resolve it with the X-clamp fix, for a period of time, then something else will crop up. On this one I still have no long term success on, I'm getting error 0110 which is memory overheating, and that's just crazy as I've got the board outside the case, with fans directly attached to each heatsink, and I even mounted some Zalman RAM sinks on each RAM module, a set of these:

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5591560

They're attached to each memory chip with Arctic Silver Ceramique (they ain't coming off, ever) and they run ice freakin' cold, but the unit still gives off the 0110 memory overheating error so I'm basically going to give up on it and call it a learning experience.

The guy just needs to go buy a Jasper, that's all there is to it. :)

is the Jasper the elite? because thats what i currently have, but it's an elite from the first day they were released.

i also just did the X-Clamp fix, which was when i posted you were lucky :p but after some more fiddling i got it to turn on :D

But yeah, i know it's mostly a temp, which is why im hoping it holds out for 2 more weeks when the RE5 xbox gets released :)

Jasper units are easy to identify:

- The power supply will show 150 watts output

- The back label on the Xbox itself will show 12.1A just below the serial number, meaning 12.1A input on the 12V line (it's actually below and to the left of the serial number, looks like 12V===12.1A).

As long as you see 12V and 12.1A (A for Amps, yanno) it's a Jasper. Zephyrs and Xenons are 12V with 16.5A and 203 watt power supplies, hence the damned things being so hot, aside from the reasons I mentioned above. Bad cooling, etc... I'm truly amazed the damned things work at all to be honest.

And don't get me started on how badly the thermal paste was basically firehosed onto the CPU and GPU when I first disassembled this one. My god... reminded me of the original Macbooks from Apple. The service manual dictated putting .1 grams of thermal compound on the CPU and some idiot mistyped it and made it 10 grams, so they'd literally empty and entire tube of compound on each one. No wonder they had so many problems...

Jasper Elites are rare but starting to pop up. Several have been confirmed in mainland Europe; I'm searching for one in the UK at the moment.

i'm still heart broken over my experience with the 360. as a consumer i was treated like trash and continue to feel cheated. i haven't played a 360 in over 6 months.....not because i don't want to but because i owned 4 of them and got tired of dealing with M$'s customer service. it's a shame that such an awesome library of games was hampered by shitty hardware. so goes life i guess.

Microsoft = make broken products, so they can make more money by releasing better broken products.

I was one of those guys who didn't laugh at others when they had the rrod, but did think maybe if they took better care of their stuff they wouldn't have this problem. I just didn't want to believe that any manufacturer would release hardware so bad, it is pretty much a given that it will fail eventually. I know the rrod numbers are something like 20% but I would argue that is too low of a percentage.

Well for me, I had one of the first Premium/Pro models with HDMI (Zephyr) that I literally babied. I sat it in place and never touched it again until the rrod showed up 14 months later. I played it maybe twice a week for a couple hours at a time and it still red ringed on me. I went ahead and tried to fix it myself which I actually did for a little while until the Feb 3rd update and immediately after the update, it red ringed again (coincidence perhaps). Either way, I wound up just buying a Jasper Arcade and swapping the hard drive. The Jasper runs so much cooler than my Zephyr did and the fans and disc drive don't sound like a jet engine either.

I grabbed another Xbox 360 off Craig's List last night for $100 with two controllers, guy swore up and down it works great, he said he bought it just over a year ago but, the date on it is Sept 2006 so it's an old one for damned sure. It "worked" while he was here and I was demoing it - wasn't ponying up the cash till I checked it out.

Got a bit warm, but the fans ramped up as expected so I paid him and sent him on his merry way. It still had the original Dashboard on it, so I left a game playing (retail MLB2K6 or something I had laying around) and went to do some other stuff. Sure enough, 30-35 minutes later with the game just being in attract mode, bam, frozen Xbox 360. Turn it off, turn it on, bam, RROD.

/me was cursing under his breath pretty fuckin' seriously at that moment.

Was about to toss it over the balcony of my apartment building (100% serious) but cooled down faster than it did and thought, "Hey, I wonder if that person ever registered it..." and promptly hit Xbox.com to check. A few minutes later it was registered to me as nobody had ever thought to do it themselves when they owned it (I doubt the guy I got it from is the original owner) - the original Microsoft warranty protection label was still in place under the faceplate so I'm good to go.

Needless to say it'll be in a box today with the freshly printed UPS packing label paid for courtesy of Microsoft, Inc. and on its way to Mesquite, Texas. I'm hoping they'll just say "Fuck it, give him a new one, we're sick of the refurb shuffle" but I highly doubt it. Controllers work fine, the power supply was pretty cool to the touch even after 20 mins or so of the game's attract mode activity too.

We'll see what happens...

Well for me, I had one of the first Premium/Pro models with HDMI (Zephyr) that I literally babied. I sat it in place and never touched it again until the rrod showed up 14 months later. I played it maybe twice a week for a couple hours at a time and it still red ringed on me. I went ahead and tried to fix it myself which I actually did for a little while until the Feb 3rd update and immediately after the update, it red ringed again (coincidence perhaps). Either way, I wound up just buying a Jasper Arcade and swapping the hard drive. The Jasper runs so much cooler than my Zephyr did and the fans and disc drive don't sound like a jet engine either.

Yep, that is my story too. I had a launch though. The new one I have is a Falcon which in 11 months, gave me the red ring but of course, I was going to send it in this time and not touch it. The one they sent back is a Falcon too and it seems to work fine so far.

My latest console just died, but not in the usual way. The power brick died somehow. Luckily the unit is under extended warranty still and they are going to send me a new brick. They won't cross ship though, which is utter failure.

While I waited I picked up a dell.com 20% off a 60 gig holiday bundle, which are rumored to be second revision falcons. Anything should be better and quieter than the crappy 360 I have now. Even with the power brick replaced it's still going to be loud as hell.

Back