RPC Crashing... constantly

NAiLs

Limp Gawd
My RPC service keeps crashing on my notebook. The notebook is a Dell E1705. I have a feeling it's the infamous Dell Wireless adapter just saying it needs to rest in a junk yard, but I'm uncertain.

I thought the problem was just from a corrupt OS (No reformat in 9 months... and not literally corrupt ;) ) but I have no explanation for this. I just reformatted the system a week ago and it has crashed twice.

Here is the error in the event viewer:

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Reboot the machine.

Could this just be a junk adapter or is there some software out there that likes to play with networking settings --or corrupt the service-- that I'm not aware of?

Help is much appreciated!!

-Brian

You should try disabling the RPC service.

Go to start, run, type "services.msc"

go down to "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" Right click and press Properties. Go to the Log On tab and click Profile 1. Then click disable and follow the prompts. If you do not want to disable it you can go to the Recovery tab, right next to Log On, and change, First, Second, and Subsequent Failures from Restart the computer to Take No Action for all of them

Hope that helps

I'll check that out. Thanks! Any idea why it would just start crashing out of the blue?

Infected with a worm?

What antivirus program do you use? Are you up-to-date with Windows updates?

Infected with a worm?

What antivirus program do you use? Are you up-to-date with Windows updates?

Fresh reformat. I use AVG for AV software and it never found a virus/worm during full scans. Yes, Windows is up-to-date.

Sorry to keep beating this horse... ;)

Does your XP installation disk include Service Pack 2? If not, was your computer ever connected to the internet prior to installing SP2? (It only takes about 2 minutes connected to the Internet without firewall (hardware or software) protection to start pickup up worms).

If your XP installation disk does contain SP2, you probably didn't pick up a worm... but after a few minutes of Google searching, it looks like this error is due to a variant of the blaster worm 99% of the time!

Google Search #1

Add the word 'inspiron' to the search... only 2 results

Add the word 'dell' to the search... not very many results and they are all MS Blaster related

Yeah, it's a fairly new disc w/ SP2 on it. I bought XP Pro x86 and 64-Bit for $18 through school around April last year.

I will give it a look and download a blaster worm detector, but I'm fairly certain that isn't the problem. I haven't downloaded anything yet and it's doing this fancy thing. Other thoughts as to why it probably isn't the Blaster is, the Blaster Worm kills your internet connection just moments after connecting to the net.. mine dies anywhere from 1 to 5 days.

I will post back in the AM w/ the Blaster scan results.

Its all software related. Reinstall windows. RPC is critical for windows to work you can try booting and getting into the services screen and make sure they are all started (should be 2-3) but I would reinstall. Also do not try to disable the service windows will not work.

A second virus scan might not be a bad idea, but installing multiple AV packages is bad news... so you'd either need to uninstall your current and then install AVG or Avast, etc or run a one-time virus scan from a website like http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

However, since you stated that your WinXP install disk was slipstreamed with SP2, you probably did not end up with a worm. A fresh install of WinXP w/SP2 isn't particularly vulnerable to worms.

You mention that you have a hunch it's related to your Dell wireless drivers. Here's what I would try next:

Reboot in Safe Mode (F8 after POST).
Open the device manager (from Control Panel -> System Properties.
Select View -> Show Hidden Devices

Now go through all the categories (especially the Non-Plug and Play Device category!) and look for anything related to your Dell wireless card and uninstall it.

Reboot and see...

How often does it crash? It sounds like it actually goes for day(s) without crashing sometimes?

Can you disable the Dell WLAN hardware in your BIOS?

Its all software related. Reinstall windows. RPC is critical for windows to work you can try booting and getting into the services screen and make sure they are all started (should be 2-3) but I would reinstall. Also do not try to disable the service windows will not work.
The RPC Service is not disabled. I went into the Services and made it attempt to restart the service after the first and second failure. Any more, reboot.

I did reinstall Windows to see if that would fix the problem. It first just seemed to happen after several months of Windows being installed. Now that I'm reformatted, it does it again.

Have you gotten a second opinion from scanning with a better antivirus package?

Scanning w/ the Trend Micro one right now.

A second virus scan might not be a bad idea, but installing multiple AV packages is bad news... so you'd either need to uninstall your current and then install AVG or Avast, etc or run a one-time virus scan from a website like http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

However, since you stated that your WinXP install disk was slipstreamed with SP2, you probably did not end up with a worm. A fresh install of WinXP w/SP2 isn't particularly vulnerable to worms.

You mention that you have a hunch it's related to your Dell wireless drivers. Here's what I would try next:

Reboot in Safe Mode (F8 after POST).
Open the device manager (from Control Panel -> System Properties.
Select View -> Show Hidden Devices

Now go through all the categories (especially the Non-Plug and Play Device category!) and look for anything related to your Dell wireless card and uninstall it.

Reboot and see...

How often does it crash? It sounds like it actually goes for day(s) without crashing sometimes?

Can you disable the Dell WLAN hardware in your BIOS?

I'll do that tomorrow afternoon when I get a little time. It crashes at random. I plugged an ethernet cable into my onboard LAN and the service crashed. The onboard LAN is never enabled, and wasn't when it crashed that time. I was just trying to bridge my connection for my XBox 360. It tends to crash when I'm not around the computer, which is weird. I am trying to get my friend at Dell to get me an Intel Wireless adapter instead of this crappy Dell 1390... that may solve problems in itself.

And yes, I can enable/disable the W-LAN in the BIOS.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I'll try out the last set of instructions and see what happens and post results. It may be a few days before I know if anything was fixed to be honest! :p

Trend Micro found nothing also. What's funny is, shortly after it got done scanning, the RPC service crashed and could not be restarted. :eek:

With real time protection enabled..correct. However you can install a few programs..using them in scan only. Or take 1 minute out..uninstall AVG, install another good package like Kapersky's AVS, Avira, or a trial of NOD32.

Back