Routing tubes

Vlad335

Gawd
I am adding an Aquatube res to my setup and I wonder whats the best order to put it in my loop.

Stand by for an incredibly articulate and precise depiction of my setup using the venerable Paint program.

tubing.jpg

You get the idea though. I have an Asetek setup which has the tiny res attached to the pump.

Any ideas?

Turn the pump around so that your intake is pulling off of the aquatube. So your component order should be aquatube>pump>gpu>cpu>rad>aquatube. That would be your shortest runs of tubing. You can change things around a bit but try to make sure the pump is being fed by the aquatube.

Wouldn't having the CPU block before the GPU be a better solution? Just asking, I'm still a nublet to WC myself. I think this may work better though.

Aquatube>pump>CPU>GPU>rad>Aquatube

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Wouldn't having the CPU block before the GPU be a better solution? Just asking, I'm still a nublet to WC myself. I think this may work better though.

Aquatube>pump>CPU>GPU>rad>Aquatube
doesn't make a lot of difference so long as tube lengths are about the same. he can really just do what is easiest to plumb, so long as the res is immediately before the pump.

Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Radiator -> AquaTube seems to work the best for me and a configuration very similar to your.

I had it pump -> radiator -> CPU ->GPU ->res and found it about 2c hotter.

R1ckCa1n said:
Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Radiator -> AquaTube seems to work the best for me and a configuration very similar to your.

I had it pump -> radiator -> CPU ->GPU ->res and found it about 2c hotter.
You did something better with the newer loop. All things constant except order, your previous setup should have been cooler if anything.

The higher the system flow rate the less the order matters. On something like a Koolance with 1/4" lines, order is a factor, but on a system with 1/2" ID hose and a pump ~300 GPM / 6'+ of head the system will reach an equalibrium. On my system, I run a Maxijet 1200 pump, D-tec WW and DD maze-4 GPU. My rad is mounted inside a window A/C unit and my water temps before and after the radiator are never more than 1*C off.

Your sketch is exactly what I build using on my first watercooling test rig (right down to the two outlet DD waterblock). You always want any kind of res to feed into the pump.

I don't understand the built-in res and an Aquatube but whatever floats your boat (you don't have a ship-in-a-bottle stuffed into the aquatube do you). I'd decide between one res or the other, use that one before the intake on the pump, and not change a thing other than that.

Other than that, yeah, using 1/2" ID tube with a good highflow pump and it really wont matter much the order.

BellaCroix said:
Your sketch is exactly what I build using on my first watercooling test rig (right down to the two outlet DD waterblock). You always want any kind of res to feed into the pump.

I don't understand the built-in res and an Aquatube but whatever floats your boat (you don't have a ship-in-a-bottle stuffed into the aquatube do you). I'd decide between one res or the other, use that one before the intake on the pump, and not change a thing other than that.

Other than that, yeah, using 1/2" ID tube with a good highflow pump and it really wont matter much the order.

I am using an Asetek Waterchill kit. Its 3/8" tubing all around. So maybe the flow order will matter.

As far as the Aqua-tube I admit I am using this mostly for looks. It looks damn good with the Aquabay and LED in the front of my PC-75 BTW. Plus, the hicks around here think I'm some kind of genius.

Ship-in-a-bottle. LOL! Actually I was thinking of a diver with a treasure chest that opens up and blows bubbles. Or a beta fish but they keep dying within 5 nanoseconds. ( Just kidding PETA)

THanks for all the help. Now I need a good way to drain my system. I just did this and it didn't go well. I think I need a Tee with a stopcock at the lowest point so I can do this. Also, all my tubes are stained to hell. Any way to clean this? I bought some tubing from Lowes but it sucks so I ordered some from Xoxide today.

nah, an asetek 3/8" still counts as high flow.

your hicks think that you're a genius, mine think that i am a total geek, and a freak of nature. i mean fuck.....i walk around with blue hair for a few months, and people are commenting about it when i stop for gas.............i REALLY need to get out of this place once i graduate.

DFI Daishi said:
nah, an asetek 3/8" still counts as high flow.

your hicks think that you're a genius, mine think that i am a total geek, and a freak of nature. i mean fuck.....i walk around with blue hair for a few months, and people are commenting about it when i stop for gas.............i REALLY need to get out of this place once i graduate.

Move to the capital of OC, computers, water cooling, and white collar crime :D California!

Vlad335 said:
You get the idea though. I have an Asetek setup which has the tiny res attached to the pump.

Any ideas?

here is my idea or what I'm currently working on now....

wclayout1ns.jpg

I've already modified my aquatube to 1/2" barbs, but I'm waiting on ordered parts from various online stores...

I think the best way to set it up is

Pump > Radiator > CPU > GPU > RES > Pump

I get incredible temps. I use a heatercore with 2 120 mm fans one on each side Push/Pull with shrouds ... CPU and GPU idle differences are max of 5 degrees Celcius on both

I use Maze4 CPU and GPU and my room temp is around 25C.

Here's an image of what it looks like.

http://img146.echo.cx/img146/7601/watercooled1qg.jpg

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
^That is a clean system, I could use some pointers from you lol.

it is also a ghetto system that I put together. I took out the front of the case and replaced it with vent aluminum. Cut it up and made shrouds and stuck it all together using masking tape :p

I will get Aluminum Duck Tape soon from a local hardware store. I was just broke for a while. I will take pictures of what it looks like for those that are interested and post it in the worklog section.

Top Nurse said:
Move to the capital of OC, computers, water cooling, and white collar crime :D California!
once again: the weather would kill me. even up here when things get hot i break out in heat rashes and am unable to sleep properly at night. i can only imagine how bad things would be so much farther south.

I currently have mine setup as follows

Code:
            CPU
Res - Pump /      \- Rad - Res
           \           /
            Northbridge

if that makes sense..I have a "y" adapter to split the pipes to cool northbridge and CPU in parallel.

its all about to change as it has to cool an FX55, Motherboard and 2 GT^800 Ultras.. so if anyone has any suggestions...

Liquidkristal said:
I currently have mine setup as follows

Code:
            CPU
Res - Pump /      \- Rad - Res
           \           /
            Northbridge

if that makes sense..I have a "y" adapter to split the pipes to cool northbridge and CPU in parallel.

its all about to change as it has to cool an FX55, Motherboard and 2 GT^800 Ultras.. so if anyone has any suggestions...
That is a bad idea for routing, but if it's working good for you.

i learned in mammalian physiology that if you use a splitter Y after your pump to go to your CPU and GPU, then the cpu/gpu will recieve less turbulance, i duno if thats good or bad, but if you want cooler temperature but less turbulance do the Y, if you want cool temperature for either GPU first or CPU first(cooler fluid), then GPU or CPU second (getting warmed fluid) but having Higher Turbulance, stay with single.

So it's all down to waht matters more, Higher Turbulance or Cooler Temp divided equally with less turbulance. I'm a WC newbie, so i don't know what matters.

but this is what i would do starting wtih the Pump-Radiator-CPU-GPU-AquaTube-Pump
And why do i put the AT there? Reason is I figure that if the AT does a lil bit of cooling, why not do it beforethe pump, where it is at peak temp, that way the AT cools it somewhat then passes it to the Radiator allowing it to cool it even more, because don't forget that water is flowing pretty fast. So instead of the radiator recieving hot liquid right away, and not cooling to full potential, the AT can help with that.

And another question is do resevoirs slow down flow? if so why not put it before the pump. *shrug*

hehe the mammalian physio didn't talk about gpu/cpu, we just learned about how blood flows and how the turbulance changes from artery all the way down to arterioles

Well one of the better reasons to why you should place the res before the pump is to remove bubbles.

Bubbles may form and you do not want them going through the pump to the radiator and then cpu

You also want the pump to push the water through the radiator because if you think about it ... Is it better to suck water through the radiator or pump it through ?

Sucking may not get the water to run evenly and fast but pushing it through will.

Liquidkristal said:
is it better to connect everything up in serial instead of parallel?
it almost always is.

@lemmy, this if for you as well.

CPU blocks are usually more restrictive to flow than GPU blocks. most of your coolant will follow the path of least resistance when you use a Y to divide flow. your CPU usually puts out more heat than you GPU. with a Y connector, the CPU will get less coolant flow than the GPU and with it's higher heat load gets hotter than it would in a serial arrangement.

plywood99 recently put up a system that is an exception to that where he used a highly restrictive GPU block and a low restriction CPU block, in a parallel arrangement. i don't think that it actually performs better than it would running in serial, but it works well all the same.

DFI Daishi said:
it almost always is.

GPU blocks are usually more restrictive to flow than CPU blocks. most of your coolant will follow the path of leat resistancy when you use a Y to divide flow. you CPU usually put out more heat than you GPU. with a Y connector, the CPU will get less coolant flow than the GPU and with it's higher heat load gets hotter than it would in a serial arrangement.

plywood99 recently put up a system that is an exception to that where he used a highly restrictive GPU block and a low restriction CPU block, in a parallel arrangement. i don't think that it actually performs better than it would running in serial, but it works well all the same.
QFT

DFI Daishi said:
GPU blocks are usually more restrictive to flow than CPU blocks. most of your coolant will follow the path of leat resistancy when you use a Y to divide flow. you CPU usually put out more heat than you GPU. with a Y connector, the CPU will get less coolant flow than the GPU and with it's higher heat load gets hotter than it would in a serial arrangement.
perhaps you mean to say that CPU blocks are more restrictive than GPU blocks? ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
perhaps you mean to say that CPU blocks are more restrictive than GPU blocks? ;)
yeah, that's the stuff. i probably shouldn't post before i'm full awake.

DFI Daishi said:
it almost always is.

CPU blocks are usually more restrictive to flow than GPU blocks. most of your coolant will follow the path of least resistance when you use a Y to divide flow. your CPU usually puts out more heat than you GPU. with a Y connector, the CPU will get less coolant flow than the GPU and with it's higher heat load gets hotter than it would in a serial arrangement.

You could always pinch the tubing (or use some sort of insert) on the more restrictive side to equalize the flow :p . It might take some trial and error to do this properly, though. I plan on doing this with my dual radiator box.

DarkenReaper57 said:
You could always pinch the tubing (or use some sort of insert) on the more restrictive side to equalize the flow :p . It might take some trial and error to do this properly, though. I plan on doing this with my dual radiator box.
yeah, you could do it that way. you're certainly not the first to suggest it, and i tried it muself when i was first building my loop. after a while of trying to tweak the flow (witha partially closed valve, in my case) you start getting into the question of how much actual temp benifit the whole process is giving you as compared to a serial arrangement. at the end of it i just gave up on parallel and went serial, with an overall improvement in cold-side temperatures of my hardware.

Back