Routing Information Protocol...

DiceMann

n00b
Does anyone actually use it or make effective use out of it? I am just wondering. It has been the only protocol that I haven't really ever used or messed with in practical routing, and I was wondering if anyone else is just like me. It's obviously useless in most cases, but I was wondering if anyone has made effective use out of it on enterprise level LAN/WAN routing.

In my networking lab course we played with RIP a bit, its only good if you use triggered updates (or whatever they call it). Seemed to work just fine but I enjoyed watching OSPF quite a bit more. iirc my school uses OSPF mostly for internal routing.

In my networking lab course we played with RIP a bit, its only good if you use triggered updates (or whatever they call it). Seemed to work just fine but I enjoyed watching OSPF quite a bit more. iirc my school uses OSPF mostly for internal routing.

OSPF is definately nice. It is heck of a lot better when compared to RIP. I have only messed around in lab with OSPF also, but only for a little bit. As for usage, my dad's company isn't even remotely big enough to start requiring that sort of stuff. He will be opening his second location, and maybe then I might start using routing protocols over the VPN.

RIP can be really handy for LAN-to-LAN VPNs, even in small networks. Normally you'd have to manually set up static routes for each client machine to direct inter-LAN traffic over the VPN gateway. With RIP, it's just a matter of configuring each client machine to listen to RIP and setting the VPN gateways to broadcast RIP messages. This is great for administration if you ever have to change the address of the VPN gateway(s) or something similar.

Back