routing dual subnets?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I'm using untangle at one of our sites. With the SDI service I have, the router requires that I use a wan ip/supnet. then, for my external IP's, they give me a whole other subnet/ip block with a diff gateway.

Well, out of the box, UT doesn't work this way. I can use the wan ip/gateway and get online. However, I also want to use the other IP's. The project is already over budget so I don't really want to buy another router if I have to.,

The server here runs esxi so if I need to put another router on there like pfsense, this could happen. I'd like to stick with UT so I can setup a site to site vpn down the road.

I'm not too sure how the best way to accomplish this in untangle is, I know on most routers, this is pretty much just putting a second address on the interface.

I did look online though, and one possibility may be adding a second network card to the server for internet connectivity, and using a switch to split the internet to the two nics, just pick one address in your range of ip's and set it on the second wan nic.

Here is a little more info that I found about it.
http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Multi-WAN

Pretty weird that it only allows one subnet per network card.
What if you have IP addresses in 20 different non-contiguous subnets?

I'm not too sure how the best way to accomplish this in untangle is, I know on most routers, this is pretty much just putting a second address on the interface.

I did look online though, and one possibility may be adding a second network card to the server for internet connectivity, and using a switch to split the internet to the two nics, just pick one address in your range of ip's and set it on the second wan nic.

Here is a little more info that I found about it.
http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Multi-WAN

I can try this but I'm not sure if that would work. If I don't have the wan ip/subnet on the nic I get no internet.

I do have an Asus RT-N16 in the trunk of my car. I could put this in front of untangle if needed. I want to use UT so I can connect it via openvpn to the corp site. I have external IP's I'd like to use for IP cams and production equipment that has network connectivity.

Personally - I would dump Untangle if it doesn't let you use IP aliases. An alias is one of those thingies that can turn a 500-pc reconfiguration nightmare into a 1-line fix. You can use openvpn with other firewall distributions.

Personally - I would dump Untangle if it doesn't let you use IP aliases. An alias is one of those thingies that can turn a 500-pc reconfiguration nightmare into a 1-line fix. You can use openvpn with other firewall distributions.

I can use aliases but the gateways are different.

utnet.PNG

With how your sheet is worded I do kinda wonder if your available LAN IP Addresses, are routable addresses. I've seen a few ISP's that assign internal addresses that are not routable to make it easier for mom and pop places.

If anything it's just how that sheet is worded that bugs me a bit.

With how your sheet is worded I do kinda wonder if your available LAN IP Addresses, are routable addresses. I've seen a few ISP's that assign internal addresses that are not routable to make it easier for mom and pop places.

If anything it's just how that sheet is worded that bugs me a bit.

They gave me a list of routers that support dual sub netting, but that's $300-500 for a unit. I don't think it needs to be that hard.

Back