Routers causing drop outs on college network?

SKYflyer

n00b
I'm at college and every 10 minutes or so, the internet connection goes down for like 30 seconds or so, and then it comes back up. I talked with the technology department guy, and he said it happens because people have routers (both wired or wireless ones) hooked up in their dorms and that they are improperly configured.

I was wondering how routers in peoples dorms can cause such drop outs on the whole dorm's internet connection (nearly everyone in the dorm experiences these drop outs). Could anyone enlighten me?

I wouldn't be supprised if a few of the people have their routers plugged up to the LAN port and are in turn, hosting DHCP servers on the lan. As such, people are probably getting all kinds of IP conflicts.

Dew said:
I wouldn't be supprised if a few of the people have their routers plugged up to the LAN port and are in turn, hosting DHCP servers on the lan. As such, people are probably getting all kinds of IP conflicts.

Thats prob the best bet.

Dew said:
Yep, caused my tards who have no idea how to use their router as a switch or wireless AP without causing trouble for other people. I take great pleasure in assisting the IT dept here in randomly 'NetStumblin' and shutting down rogue/improperly configured routers that give out random IPs half the time.

Back