routers and switch

My question is that I am building a basement network for some pc's. I am going to be using 7 wall ethernet connections. I have a Netgear router, but it only has four ports. I have to, of course buy an 8 port switch. My question is if I hook up a netgear switch to one port on the router, are all the downlinked computers using the 25% of the bandwith, or will all computers have all available bandwith to use? Please be specific when answering, thanks all.

they will have full bandwidth between each other, but the internet will be shared regardless of where the pc's are hooked up.
the 4 ports on the router is a switch, and it's not broken down into 25% per port..

ok , how about this one, 3 pc's hooked up between the main router ports, then, the 8 are linked on the 4th. Now the 8 pc's will have 3% of the bandwith, if all pc's are downloading at the same time, right?

TheAmerican said:
ok , how about this one, 3 pc's hooked up between the main router ports, then, the 8 are linked on the 4th. Now the 8 pc's will have 3% of the bandwith, if all pc's are downloading at the same time, right?

Its not broken down into anything percentage-wise.

If you haver your 10/100 8 port switch plugged into the 4 port routers switch, the 8 users on that 8 port switch are only limited by the physical connecting between the two (the 100mb port). anyone can download 100% or 0%, its just a matter of if your using any traffic shaping, or whos doing what. So unless you have OC192 at your house, theres not much to worry about.

Our setup is wired like this:
Router: Port 1 to PC, Port 2 to HP Color Laserjet, Port 3 goes to the Garage to my Garage PC, Port 4 goes upstairs to my Dlink 5 port GigE Switch.

Dlink-A: Port 1 to my PC, port 2 to another Dlink 5 port GigE (Dlink-B) switch in another room, Port 3 to aother switch on top of the the Dlink here, port 4 hooked to the line from downstairs.

Switch on top of the Dlink: port 1 to the Dlink, Port 2 to My Xbox, Port 3 roy spare PC, port 4 to my HTPC

Dlink-B: Port 1 to Dlink-A, Port 2 to Dell Server, Port 3 to another XboX, Port 4 to Gaming PC, Port 5 to another Linksys switch.

Linksys Switch: Port 1 to Dlink-B, Port 2 to HTPC, Port 3 to Linksys Wireless Router used as an Access Point for my Laptop.

Every machine has access to full speed internet unless one machine is downloading a lot of stuff. Downloading from the net doesn't seem to affect copying files between any of the machines.

Back