Router

Bling

Gawd
I have a wrt54g with dd-wrt firmware installed. every now and then the internet coming through it tottaly stops and I cannot do anything to restore it. During this time it does not acwuire an adress from Dhcp of my ISP . The lights on the modem indicate everything should be working. I am also looking into increasing the wireless transfer speed. I use a mac mini attached by ethernet to the router and left on 24/7 to download torrents/ serve files/music etc. so that i can power on the macbookpro only when i need it and not have to worry about leaving it on to finish a torrent.
I was thinking i would kill two/three birds with one stone by buying a very ood wireless-N router. The asus model with a bittorrent client built in looks usefull, is it any ood , are there any alternatives. What would you recomend?

The lights on the router might be okay but how do the lights on the modem look? Before you invest in another router, make sure it's not something your ISP is doing in your area - especially if this just started happening recently. One easy way to rule the router out or identify it as the perpetrator, would be to connect one of your computers directly to the cable modem. You could also watch the cable modem to make sure it is not resetting or losing signal. The lights above or next to 'pc/activity' should give you a hint as to what is going on. If any of the other lights go dark and then slowly come back one at a time when you lose connectivity, something else is wrong.

That said, which Asus model are you talking about exactly? I'm assuming the ASUS WL-500W, which I have no personal experience with. Asus routers in the past have received pretty good praise and they've certainly found a niche market (all-in-one devices) they can capitalize on. From a quick scan of Google it seems to get high marks and the wireless performance is good.

Hope that helps.

I meant to say the lights on the modem, My mother works for my ISP and somehow i have two different modem connected at to different points. The other connection does not have a router though and it has been working every single time the modem with the router has not. I will o some more testing to try to solve the problem because id hate to get a new router and still have to deal with the same thing.
I am really thinking about that new dual band simultaneous gigabit draft n router because i have alot of devices that use b/g (iphone etc) . the gigabit capability is also nice because i have computers connected that way in addition to my macbookpro. I will just have to have my mac mini attached for torrenting like i have now.

Back