Router with openDNS??

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Are there any routers out there with opendns username and password logins built in?? That would prevent having to install the updater on any machines.

Thanks.

You could through the OpenDNS client on a machine that is hosting DNS and just point all the machines to that device such as a server or you could setup a desktop with a DNS server and run the client on it and point all your machines and device inside your network to it for DNS. This will force everything to run through OpenDNS without having to install the dynamic client every where.

I have done this for home user that want to block stuff not only on computers but other device such as iPad's, Phones, etc..

I run an application called DualServer it can run both DNS and DHCP on any windows box.

I had a linksys that had dyndns built in. However i'm just using the client now, works fine

What you really want is a router that allows you to update a custom dynamic DNS service. I assume you are not just wanting the OpenDNS servers, but your custom filters specified as well (which requires that you update OpenDNS with your current IP). My old Dlink DIR-655 lets me plug in DNSoMatic as my dynamic DNS service and then it sends updates to that service every minute. DNSoMatic updates OpenDNS with your current IP, so all of your custom filters still work.

Pic:
Dynamic.jpg

The Cisco / Linksys e4200 has dynamic DNS services built in, but unfortunately you cannot specify your own and DNSoMatic isn't one of the choices. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the Netgear WNDR3700 and 4000 do allow you to specify your own dynamic dns server/login.

Hope this helps,
Ð

Last edited:
Back