Router / WiFi Extender Using Ethernet?

Candiss

n00b
Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong place. If so, let me know where I should be posting.

I've recently built a home station consisting of two computers, and now I've just set up my console / tv area, but the wifi signal in this part of the house is horrendous. Extenders won't even reach the signal from the router.

I've run an ethernet cable up from the router and used a switch to connect my PC's & Laptop to the internet via ethernet cable. I now have the issue of my phone, TV and consoles that don't have ethernet ports like my Switch connecting to the internet.

Ideally, I would like to see if I could run an ethernet cable from the switch into some kind of wifi extender, so my wireless devices can connect to that signal. The problem is I'm not really sure where to start here, as I'm not very clued up when it comes to networking devices. Do I need a wifi extender with an ethernet cable? Do I need a router that I can use as a wifi extender? I also have done minimal 'networking' in my life, so am quite unfamiliar with setting up routers etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Candiss

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep, any access point will do what you need. And you can always use an old router as an access point if you have one lying around. Bonus with these is that they also have a built-in switch. (y)

Thank you both, I've ordered the tp-link AP suggested, and will play around with it tomorrow. Cheers!

Back