router vs no router issues 8(

Xenozx

2[H]4U
OK heres the deal, i have a D-link router. When my router is attached everything works fairly fine except for 2 things....

1.) P2P programs such as Edonkey2000... They dont carry the speed they will with a direct connect. What i mean by this is when i have router in place i can add a video or anything and it might take 2-5 days to download. Then removing the router and hooking directly to the PC and using windows SP2 firewall i could download the same file in a day or so.

I went into the router's fire wall section and opened the ports it told me too, but i still have the problems. any idea's?

2.) hosting online games... For some reason i cant host games with my router in place period. I tried to do DMZ mode. I opened ports. I added some wierd application thingy, everything i could find to no avail. Dont quite know what to do.

Assuming you opened the ports properly and forwarded them to the right machine, the only thing I can think is that your router's port forwarding is broken. Not having a D-Link laying around I can't test to see if I get the same results.

Ive read that Dlinks have NAT security in them that is a major problem for some of the stuf i do, would it be better to buy a new one and fo so Is there any router anyone would particulary recommend for an avid

gamer
downloader
P2Per
etc.

thats under 100 bucks (that new DLINK gamer/linksys routers look kool but they are like 200 bucks!!!!!)

linksys.

wired-only ~ $40-60
wired and wireless ~ $50-70

no issues here. some games require some ports opened when you host games, but usually default setttings are enough. plenty of support documentation can be found online as well.

The WRT54G is by far the best router for the price on the market right now. Can we say custom firmware. I have been running the HyperWRT firmware and have been 100% stable since I put it on there. Plus it adds a ton of fun stuff to the router.

www.linksysinfo.org

Doc Holiday said:
The WRT54G is by far the best router for the price on the market right now. Can we say custom firmware. I have been running the HyperWRT firmware and have been 100% stable since I put it on there. Plus it adds a ton of fun stuff to the router.

www.linksysinfo.org

That is the beauty of devices that run on Linux ;)

Ive heard linux has awesome packet switching technology. This router the WRT54G has linux as its firmware?

im assuming the D-Link doesnt right?

Xenozx said:
Ive heard linux has awesome packet switching technology. This router the WRT54G has linux as its firmware?

im assuming the D-Link doesnt right?

Both assumptions are correct.

hmm

there seem to be 2 verisons of that router a

WRT54G

WRT54GS

the second one seems to have some speed boasting enhancements (wireless) and some other features the later doesnt have, anyone have any idea which be the better? I dont use wireless at all but i would like to have it just in case. any idea's?

I have the 54GS and haven't had a single issue. The GS has more RAM and a faster proc so you can run more options with the custom firmware, without throughput being hurt.

the "s" at the end of the model number indicates linksys's "speed booster" proprietary technology. basically higher bandwidth, speed, etc.
to use it you need the designated router, speed booster wifi cards, and (according to the packaging) a pc with either widows 2000 or xp ... otherwise it uses the normal 802.11g communication

PTNL said:
the "s" at the end of the model number indicates linksys's "speed booster" proprietary technology. basically higher bandwidth, speed, etc.
to use it you need the designated router, speed booster wifi cards, and (according to the packaging) a pc with either widows 2000 or xp ... otherwise it uses the normal 802.11g communication

While this statement is correct the GS is a more powerful router.

Check out this link:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=6#table

"the only distinguishable differences from the non-SpeedBooster WRT54Gv2.0 is the doubling of both RAM and Flash. The System RAM gets bumped from 16 to 32 MB and the Flash memory from 4MB to 8MB."

There are people who say that the extra RAM helps when loading custom firmware on the router. I haven't done any testing my self between the WRT54G and the GS. But I can say that my GS is very fast. I have a 10Mbps Internet connection along with a 1Gbps network back bone and have never had to my GS crash with the HyperWRT firmware on it.

I have also done some speed tests with it and get very good throughput on the wireless and the wired side of things.

well I did some reasearch and apparently the WRT54G version 2.2 is almost the same thing as the GS version. Only thing its mising is the speed booster tech.

according to the official specs both have a 200 mhz processor and both have 32 mb of ram. The only difference is that the flash area on the G is 4 mb and the flash area on the GS is 8.

P.S. got the WRT54G yesterday, works like a charm

I had a WRT54g up until recently and it was a great router. I now use a D-Link 4300 that I like alot also.

yea i heard that router was pretty good i only had 2 gripes.

1.) im comming from a D-Link router that i hate with a passion due to its lack of working with P2P programs and allowing me to host games, and with this new linksys both of those where fixed in minutes.

2.) the price. Thats a fairly expensive router you got there m8.

Xenozx said:
yea i heard that router was pretty good i only had 2 gripes.

1.) im comming from a D-Link router that i hate with a passion due to its lack of working with P2P programs and allowing me to host games, and with this new linksys both of those where fixed in minutes.

2.) the price. Thats a fairly expensive router you got there m8.

For the gamefuel tech, its worth it and blue LED's are so puuuurty
:D

Back