Router that doesn't need to be unpluged to work..

Wenty

Limp Gawd
I have a Linksys Wireless-B BEFW11S4 that I have to unplug all the time to get it working.
So I was looking at this one and was wondering if it was any good???? :) I do mostly gaming on my machine.

33-127-158-05.jpg

Those are doing quite well. To be quite honest though...(and I've worked with a LOT of different home grade routers)...I haven't had many that need this.."unplugging/rebooting" to work.

It's a matter of generally have more up to date firmeware, correct settings, and a stable power source (I prefer to have little battery backup units on the modem/router).

What speed is your internet? My company offers fiber to the prem and residential customers can get 10 meg down / 2 meg up and we've found that customers with Linksys wireless routers constantly have issues where connections randomly dropping and locking up. We have since stopped recommending Linksys and use d-link routers instead and have not seen any issues since.

Just a thought, might not help but?? You may also want to make sure you have the newest firmware.

Wenty said:
I have a Linksys Wireless-B BEFW11S4 that I have to unplug all the time to get it working.
So I was looking at this one and was wondering if it was any good???? :) I do mostly gaming on my machine.

33-127-158-05.jpg

What speed is your internet? My company offers fiber to the prem and residential customers can get 10 meg down / 2 meg up and we've found that customers with Linksys wireless routers constantly have issues where connections randomly dropping and locking up. We have since stopped recommending Linksys and use d-link routers instead and have not seen any issues since.

How much do you guys charge for that connection ?

Wenty said:

It could just be a bad router. I had a D-Link DI-784 that would quit working if the room temperature was much over 75F. If I stood it on end with the top cover off if would usually work until the room temp was over 80F. It unfortunately started doing it just about the end of the warranty period. I finally replaced it with a D-Link WBR-2310 and have had no problems since.

I have the latest firmware so I think its just pooping out on me. My connection is 3000 down and 325 up stream. It seems to be crashing more on me so I figure its time for a upgrade. :cool:

The-One said:
How much do you guys charge for that connection ?

Right at $100 a month, and before everyone tells me how expensive that is, we try to maintain between a 10:1 and a 15:1 ratio of 1 meg users to 1 meg of internet. We also have found that people who will pay $100 a month keeps the people who just want to use the 10 meg pipe and download illegal movies, songs and etc. The sales guys want to cut the price in half....I've been pushing back, if we cut the price then the ratios must fall as well....unless I can find a magically bandwidth fairy to get me a fat internet pipe for free!

niccoli said:
Right at $100 a month, and before everyone tells me how expensive that is, we try to maintain between a 10:1 and a 15:1 ratio of 1 meg users to 1 meg of internet. We also have found that people who will pay $100 a month keeps the people who just want to use the 10 meg pipe and download illegal movies, songs and etc. The sales guys want to cut the price in half....I've been pushing back, if we cut the price then the ratios must fall as well....unless I can find a magically bandwidth fairy to get me a fat internet pipe for free!

But i get 10 megs down and 1 meg up for $30 a month from roadrunner.
Blah,Blah, I know it ain't supposed to be this fast but it is.
:eek:

I would never pay $100 a month for internet access, and man do I love those _____ movies.

I doubt you want to hear this, but why not recycle an old PC and install Smoothwall or IPCop on it? Uptime on mine for work and home is measured in months.

benutne said:
I doubt you want to hear this, but why not recycle an old PC and install Smoothwall or IPCop on it? Uptime on mine for work and home is measured in months.

What does that do that a router won't do ?
I'm not being a smart ass either, i really want to know...

And how big is the PSU on your firewall pc.

The-One said:
What does that do that a router won't do ?
I'm not being a smart ass either, i really want to know...

And how big is the PSU on your firewall pc.

With the addons for both IPCop and Smoothwall, the sky is the limit as far as what it can do. I use a mini PC for my router at work. Its super quiet with a cheap Celeron in it. Here is the barebones I bought for work, but any PC will work. Technically, if you have the hardware just laying about (like I did for my home setup) it will cost you absolutely nothing other than time. I'm not really sure what you mean by your question about the PSU, but its some nameless 300W ATX power supply inside a cheap steel case without the sides.

Back