Router/switch/router setting

Monkeypox

Weaksauce
I could use some help here as this is driving me crazy.

I have a modem assigning via DHCP. That modem has several switches connected throughout the house. One of those switches has a router with wired and wireless connections. If I disable DHCP on the second router, none of the wireless connections can see the Primary router/DHCP server. If I enable DHCP and assign a different range or even IP addresses inside that range, the wired and wireless connections on that router can make an internet connection, but not a LAN connection to other devices. They are all using the same subnet.

Networking really isn't my thing and I'm sure I'm doing something very dumb, but the last 5 hours hasn't had that dumb thing reveal itself.

All I want to accomplish is have a single wireless router with all the connected devices being server from the DHCP server and all able to see each other on the network.

I can not relocate any of the hardware due to physical limitations of the house.

One of those switches has a router with wired and wireless connections

You need to configure that router to run as an access point. What model is it?

That router is filtering out traffic and segregating the networks.

Its a Trendnet TEW-812DRU.
I don't see anything in the config to set it up as an access point but I'll keep looking.

I always thought access points were for multiple wireless connections. Shows what I know.

What model modem is it? Is it assigning private IP addresses? (192.x.x.x ?)

Most basic setups should go

Modem > Router > Switches > Clients

It sounds like you have

Modem > Switches + clients > Router > Switches > Clients ? Anything not on the same inside of the router is going to be segregated.
> Clients
A quick google didn't pop up any big hits for configuring that model as an AP... it doesn't support dd-wrt either.

How many devices are plugged into it currently? You could get a small switch and an access point for fairly cheap.

What model modem is it? Is it assigning private IP addresses? (192.x.x.x ?)

Most basic setups should go

Modem > Router > Switches > Clients

It sounds like you have

Modem > Switches + clients > Router > Switches > Clients ? Anything not on the same inside of the router is going to be segregated.
> Clients
A quick google didn't pop up any big hits for configuring that model as an AP... it doesn't support dd-wrt either.

How many devices are plugged into it currently? You could get a small switch and an access point for fairly cheap.

It would actually be a little more complicated then that. It would be router- switch- switch with clients/ switch with clients/switch with second router with clients.

The modem defaults to 192.168.10.1, but that is easily changed.
The DHCP router is using the .0.1-100 range. Changing the wireless router to .101 or even using the range of .90-.100 don't appear to work.
Unfortunately, I can't do modem/router> router > switch.
The second router has 4 devices plugged into it.

another option is disabling the DHCP server in said Trendnet TEW-812DRU and plugging whatever is in the wan into the lan...

When I disable the DHCP server and do as above, the wireless clients no longer are able to get a dhcp address from the other router.

It appears when I remove a cable from the WAN port and only use the lan ports, the router does not take an ip address from the DHCP server.
On the modem/router I can look at the client list and see the mac address of the second router, but no IP is assigned.
Putting the mac address and attempting to configure the second router with a static IP doesn't appear to work either.

there is nothing wrong with the Trendnet TEW-812DRU not taking an IP address from the router serving the DHCP.

Trendnet TEW-812DRU Disable DHCP server and don't plug anything into the WAN port. The lan port should be used to connect to the other router/switch

Trendnet TEW-812DRU private IP address should be something other than the router that is serving DHCP. For example, if the router serving DHCP is 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 the Trendnet TEW-812DRU should have an ip of 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. You will have to assign the private ip of the Trendnet TEW-812DRU manually. THIS IS NOT THE WAN IP! LEAVE THE WAN IP ALONE AND LET IT BE BLANK. The main router should be serving address from 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.254.

That'll make the Trendnet TEW-812DRU a wireless access point and both devices configuration page will be accessible.

Back