Router stacking?

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
I ready have have a pretty good Dlink router for my wired use. It gives me notice able performance increase over my old WRT54G router due to it's ability to sort and manage connections, well worth it's price tag few years back, and I was very happy about the purchase. But living in a decent sized house, I need more than G can provide for a stable wireless connection.

I am looking at this deal atm. It's a great deal for a N router. While I still want to keep the advance sorting features of my current router and the N signal of the new one, I am thinking about putting them in this order:

Modem - DGL4300 - DIR615

Do you think it will work similar to having one of this?

Just use the N router like a WAP. Plug one of the LAN ports on the 4300 to a LAN port on the 615, also turn off DHCP on the 615. This should accomplish what you want

What do you mean "sorting features"?

Also, since they're both DLink routers..they'll most likely come set to the same default LAN IP address. Simply uplink them to each other..will result in your network coming to a grinding halt. ;)

So say you primary router like the 4300 is 192.168.1.1, make the 615 something like 192.168.1.253 or 192.168.1.245...before uplinking them.

What do you mean "sorting features"?

Also, since they're both DLink routers..they'll most likely come set to the same default LAN IP address. Simply uplink them to each other..will result in your network coming to a grinding halt. ;)

So say you primary router like the 4300 is 192.168.1.1, make the 615 something like 192.168.1.253 or 192.168.1.245...before uplinking them.

Good call! Forgot to mention that part, lol.

I heard that the upper tier routers with traffic manager built in. I don't know if that's right technically, but I did experience smoother internet with wired connection. I thnk DLink call it gamefuel or something like that.

I a really bad at internet related things. The 192.168.1.1 ip address, doesn't that only work for the router the machine is connected to?

Modem - DGL4300 - DIR615

I will have DGL4300 connect with my wired connections, and DIR615 only with wireless connection due to the N format. What exactly are the settings I need to change to make the wireless set up work as if it's connect directly to the modem.

I heard that the upper tier routers with traffic manager built in. I don't know if that's right technically, but I did experience smoother internet with wired connection. I thnk DLink call it gamefuel or something like that.

I call it common sense. A wired connection is always faster and more stable than a wireless connection, even with the latter in the best conditions. Compare 1000Mbit with 54Mbit to have an idea of the difference.

I a really bad at internet related things. The 192.168.1.1 ip address, doesn't that only work for the router the machine is connected to?

No, the router or the machines can have any IP address in the subnet without limitations.

I will have DGL4300 connect with my wired connections, and DIR615 only with wireless connection due to the N format. What exactly are the settings I need to change to make the wireless set up work as if it's connect directly to the modem.

Let me set it straight. You want to know "exactly" which are the settings for a WAP you do not own to do a pointless thing such as cheating the WAP into believing it is directly connected to the modem? Are you very young, by any chance? ;) Go buy it, setup it, fail, and we can talk about it but before that moment such a request is pushing on other people's courtesy, don't you think?... Peace. :)

TJ

Hey guys, I'm having the same problems. Hopefully you can help me out.

I have two Linksys routers, one is a wired & the other is a wireless, and I'm trying to stack them together, but not getting much progress. I have a WMP54GS v1.1 in my desktop in addition the gigabit on my motherboard.

I've disabled the DHCP on the wireless router and run an Ethernet cable from the "Internet" plug in the back to one of the regular plugs in the back of the wired router but I'm still not able to access the internet through the wireless connection.

My computer is able to connect successfully through the WMP54GS to the Wireless Router, but I can't get to the internet. However if I connect the Ethernet cable from my desktop to the few ports in the back of the wireless router, I am able to access the internet that way.....weird........

Any ideas?

Have you setup static IP information for the router after disabling DHCP?

Have you setup static IP information for the router after disabling DHCP?

Well, I assigned the wired router 192.168.1.1, and the wireless router 192.168.1.2. Which router do you mean to have static IP?

EDIT: So I've assigned a static IP to the wireless, and I'm having the wired one (the one that goes to the cable modem) obtaining the IP automatically. I'll see if that helps.

Remember to connect them LAN to LAN and not into the WAN port.

Well, on the back of the wireless are 5 ports: 1 that says Internet, and 4 others that are regular ports. Only the wired router has a WAN port; that's going to the cable modem. Right now the wireless has an Ethernet cable running from the Internet port to a regular port on the wired router.

EDIT: I finally got them working! I had to move the Ethernet cable from the Internet port on the wireless router to a regular port, and plug that to a regular port on the wired router. In addition, I had to set the wireless to a static IP, with the Gateway as the internal IP of the wired router.

Seriously, I won't remember how I did this in 6 months.

Well, on the back of the wireless are 5 ports: 1 that says Internet, and 4 others that are regular ports. Only the wired router has a WAN port; that's going to the cable modem. Right now the wireless has an Ethernet cable running from the Internet port to a regular port on the wired router.

EDIT: I finally got them working! I had to move the Ethernet cable from the Internet port on the wireless router to a regular port, and plug that to a regular port on the wired router. In addition, I had to set the wireless to a static IP, with the Gateway as the internal IP of the wired router.

Seriously, I won't remember how I did this in 6 months.

Don't worry, that is one of the most common mistakes people making, plunning into the WAN port (on their LAN) ;)

Back