Router Simulation / Throttling software

jpochedl

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for some software that can act as a router and simulate different network speeds (or I guess a real router that can throttle connections speeds would be OK too)... We'd like to test an application that must communicate over a VPN and need to see at what point/speed performance is "acceptable"...

Google hasn't been much help, all I keep getting back are internet connection "speed test" type results... Guess I'm just not using the right words...

Of course, free or cheap is preferred, but any suggestions are welcome.

TIA!

search for traffic generator, I think thats what your looking for. I also know that Linux does have a traffic generator you can build into it (the kernel) but I don't have much info on that, alhtough the doc section of the source should, or normaly does.

Check out Monowall. Its magic trafic shaper is sweet. Plus it has Pipe control.

you want to see how much bandwidth you can push over a vpn link?

if so, i recall something on sourceforge.net that you could setup and it would even graph results for you....

Thanks for the suggestions, guys... I'm not really looking for a traffic generator... A traffic generator would be useful if I already had a link of the speed I wanted to test... Unfortunately what I need is a way to virtually create the link so then I can use an already existing application to see how it performs over the virtual link (simulating different latency and such would be nice too, but not absolutely necessary)....

I've found some commercial packages that do this, but they all do more than I really need and cost at least $1000 or so... If someone had a 'lite' version that was only a couple hundred dollars or something I'd be all over it...

Back