Router signal distance question

biru32

Limp Gawd
I have a D-Link 614+ router and I have two computers running wireless and one running network cable on the router. Wireless computer one is about 3 feet from the router, wireless computer 2 is about 10 -12 feet from the router with a wall between the router and computer. Computer 2 receives a signal strength of low most of the time and at other times good, but never excellent. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Do I need a signal booster? Computer one always receives a signal strength of excellent.

Thanks!

What kind of network adapter is in the computer getting a low quality signal? 10-12 feet and one wall isn't much of a deal unless it is a super duper ultra wall.

I just picked up a belkin 54G USB wireless network adapter. It's sitting in a computer that is about, 20-30 feet and two walls away from a Dlink 524 router and I can have it connect stable with a very good 54Mbit connection. Look into one of these if you can't get a better signal with yours. These USB adapters come with an extension cable and base so you can position it up on your tower or table or behind your monitor... wherever you get the best signal.

Wireless is picky. I can move mine an inch or two and the speed will drop down to 24 Mbits with a low signal strength. I've played around with PCI adapters and due to the way the computers were oriented, the wireless signal was not reliable at all. It was terrible.

forumpass said:
What kind of network adapter is in the computer getting a low quality signal? 10-12 feet and one wall isn't much of a deal unless it is a super duper ultra wall.

I just picked up a belkin 54G USB wireless network adapter. It's sitting in a computer that is about, 20-30 feet and two walls away from a Dlink 524 router and I can have it connect stable with a very good 54Mbit connection. Look into one of these if you can't get a better signal with yours. These USB adapters come with an extension cable and base so you can position it up on your tower or table or behind your monitor... wherever you get the best signal.

Wireless is picky. I can move mine an inch or two and the speed will drop down to 24 Mbits with a low signal strength. I've played around with PCI adapters and due to the way the computers were oriented, the wireless signal was not reliable at all. It was terrible.

It's a D-link DWL-520+ PCI adapte. The wall is nothing special, it's just a regular stud wall with drywall. Mybe I should try switching adapter from computer 1 to computer 2 and see what that yields. Computer 1 has a Broadcom adapter.

Internal wireless card? Try turning the computer 90 degrees about its x or its z axis..some antenna have directional and/or polarity issues. If that does nothing, try moving its position a few feet. Finally, make sure the antenna is properly mounted and not being shielded by the case itself.

Back