Router(s) not responding?

VashX

n00b
I've always been on a router but ever since my ISP (Comcast) had problems, I can't use a router.
One day, my internet wasn't working so I tried directly connecting my cable modem to my computer and it worked. I switched back to my SMC Barricade SMC7004ABR router and I tried using my Netgear RP614 router and neither were working.
My router stopped working when my ISP had DNS issues. I thought this was a coincidence and I never tried reconnecting my router. But the problem still remains. The router doesn't work for my aunt's laptop(s) (Toshiba and Powerbook G4) either.

Can anybody tell me what's going on? Is it my ISP?

I'd like to bump this thing up.

I have a new theory that maybe my router isn't working ever since my first cable modem died and I'm now on a Comcast cable modem.

I've looked at some sites and stuff and it says I need to use the "ipconfig /all" command but for some reason, I come up with this:
C:\Documents and Settings\eXcentra>ipconfig /all
'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I've run this command before and it worked but I have no idea what's going on now.
If it helps, I'm on XP Home SP2...

Had a Sprint modem once that was locked to only recognize itself and one other IP, I wouldn't be suprised if your new Comcast modem had a similar "feature". You probably just need to configure the router differently to work with the new modem.

When you switch routers or PCs that are hooked to the cablemodem, you need to turn off the modem, wait a few seconds, then turn the modem back on.

Else you'll need to clone your working PC's MAC address into the router's WAN address.

SJConsultant said:
When you switch routers or PCs that are hooked to the cablemodem, you need to turn off the modem, wait a few seconds, then turn the modem back on.
omfg..... I cannot believe that that actually worked. I thought I tried that before but apparently I had not! Wow.
I would type in caps but... thank you for the help. I cannot believe it was this simple but... thank you. It's really really really appreciated. :D

I try to stay away from "reboot and call me back if it's still doing it"...but it remains one of the most likely solutions to a wide variety of problems. ^_^

Back