Router recommendations

sbin

Limp Gawd
Given a choice between a cisco 1721 and d-link dgl-4100 which router would be best to use in home office setup?
The router will be connected to dsl and support 5 computer.
Does the 1721 offer any advantage over the gigE of the dgl-4100.
The router would be paired with a cisco switch I already have,not out of necessity but as a platforum for my son to practice with such equipment.

The cisco seems to be pretty different than the d-link, offering modular WICs. The dlink only has 4 user slots so I guess you could hook up your switch and then add some ports. The dlink seems pretty straitforward but the cisco is a little confusing with all the unique ports on the back.

It's two totally different markets that those brands are aimed at. The DLink is aimed at home consumers..thus...very easy to use, setup, manage. And their 4000 series appears to be a great line..performance away above average.

Cisco's are aimed at IT peeps...generally not viewed as "easy to use". If you wish to do a few things with it (open/forward ports, change settings such as DHCP, etc)...you may find yourself struggling to find answers.

sbin said:
Given a choice between a cisco 1721 and d-link dgl-4100 which router would be best to use in home office setup?
The router will be connected to dsl and support 5 computer.
Does the 1721 offer any advantage over the gigE of the dgl-4100.
The router would be paired with a cisco switch I already have,not out of necessity but as a platforum for my son to practice with such equipment.

I would suggest you configure a standard home router as your interface to the internet and for general purposes. use the cisco equipment in a lab type environment for testing. Believe me, you don't want to be experimenting on the stuff you household is depending on...

I gotta agree with dekard here. Buy a normal, cheap, consumer router for your home network. You can then buy a used Cisco router (cheaper than new!) from Ebay for your son to play with.

Set up a little Cisco home lab with your switch and the used router. The equipment is not wasted. If your son passes his CCNA or whatever exam, you can sell it back on Ebay or keep it for future training.

Also, If your son blows up the network or the equipment while training, it’s no big deal.

If he does it on your home network, you could be out of internet service for a while or you might unknowingly let in Trojans or other crap into a home network that was not properly secured while your son is learning. :cool:

I too am studying for my CCNA and I purchased a "LAB" from ciscokits.com and I have them setup completely seperate from my home network. If I crash the router it is no big deal. Once I get my Cert done I may connect one of the routers and use it as my main router, but not until that time. I haven't decided yet. ;)

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice!
I will probably get a dgl-4100 for the gigE and easy of use.
The cisco equipment will be installed in a rack so it can be patched in or out of service as needed.
We have 1721 and 2621 routers and 2950 and 3550 switches to play around with but that stuff is overkill.

sbin said:
Thanks for the advice!
I will probably get a dgl-4100 for the gigE and easy of use.
The cisco equipment will be installed in a rack so it can be patched in or out of service as needed.
We have 1721 and 2621 routers and 2950 and 3550 switches to play around with but that stuff is overkill.

thats a highly recommended router. A lot of people are also looking at the dgl-4300 since it adds wireless for a modest amount... You'll do fine with either one tho.

Back