router overheating?

XBLiNKX

[H]ard|Gawd
Now I have never heard of this but my friend swears his routers are overheating and not detecting his cable connection. He wants to make some sort of metal case to put them in instead of the regular plastic case. Personallly I think he is crazy. Could he be right? Anyone ever hear of overheating routers?

He says its becuase he brothers downloads alot of stuff all the time.

well routers do get kinda hot, but bot really to th point of malfunction.

do a hard reset, and if that doesnt work, upgrade the firmware

Originally posted by XBLiNKX
Now I have never heard of this but my friend swears his routers are overheating and not detecting his cable connection. He wants to make some sort of metal case to put them in instead of the regular plastic case. Personallly I think he is crazy. Could he be right? Anyone ever hear of overheating routers?

He says its becuase he brothers downloads alot of stuff all the time.

I say bull.. If he wants to find out, take the cover off and blow a desk fan into it and see if the problems go away or if it's mroe stable... Somehow, I doubt it will help though.

Heh, my ADSL modem and LAN hub/router get so hot it worries me sometimes. Oh, I know it's silly, they are supposed to be meant to take whatever they dish out, but I did open mine up and steal the PCMCIA card from it as well as and up screwing up the printer connectors (print server) so I worried I shorted something or whatever but I couldn't find it if I did. I had a spare giant aluminum heatsink that came out of an old speaker system and I just set the lan hub down, put the heatsink on top (no thermal compound or anything, I'm cheap and lazy plus I thought it was a waste of time) and the modem on top of the heatsink. Now they don't get more than just a little warm. Ok, ok, that's a waste of time and all technically, but peace of mind is never a waste, right? Plus I just had that heatsink lying around and obviously it won't fit in my PC so I wanted to put it to use SOMEWHERE.

What router? my linksys 4 port gets hot so does my Surfboard 3200 (Old cable modem). but they have been working fine for 2 years now.

i seem to as of late having trouble with my router. i believe this is nothing to do with overheating, but i could be. I started using bit torrent, via azzures (sp?) and if i have a lot of downloads going, ie 15+, or downloading over 50+gigs or so, eventually my router locks up. i thought it was because of all the open connections running through the router, but im wondering if maybe the large stress of this is causeing it to overheat. has anyone else delt with this. its probably just a cheap router and thats why its having problems, but i was just wondering.

Id think that the manufacture has tested them before they shipped. Dont you think that they would have installed some sort of cooling if they got so hot to the point of malfunction.

Just seems like someones got the [H]ardSyndrome ;).

Back