Router not letting me access my PC from my XBox

I'm having trouble seeing my PC from my XBox (I want to use WMC to stream video to XBox), hoping somebody can help me out. Here's my setup:

ISP provided modem (No branding), connected to my PC
Network out (Wired) from modem to Dlink DIR-665 router (which is broadcasting WIFI)
Network out (Wired) from Dlink router to XBox

I'm online with the XBox with no issue, but I can't access the PC through Media Centre with this setup. When I connect the XBox to the modem directly, I also have no issues. Ideas anybody? I'm using Norton Internet Security 2012 if that could be the issue.

they are on different networks. xbox only checks local subnet for pcs. you will need to move the PC to the same device as the xbox is plugged into for that to work. If the xbox was to start looking at other networks, it would be trying to search the entire internet for every single pc out there. that would be an issue ;)

I'm having trouble seeing my PC from my XBox (I want to use WMC to stream video to XBox), hoping somebody can help me out. Here's my setup:

ISP provided modem (No branding), connected to my PC
Network out (Wired) from modem to Dlink DIR-665 router (which is broadcasting WIFI)
Network out (Wired) from Dlink router to XBox

I'm online with the XBox with no issue, but I can't access the PC through Media Centre with this setup. When I connect the XBox to the modem directly, I also have no issues. Ideas anybody? I'm using Norton Internet Security 2012 if that could be the issue.

Nis ewwwwwwwwwwww kill it with fire...

Yeah, I hate nis, too. I would at least disable that to begin. You don't really *need* a firewall if you're behind a Nat router. I know I might get shot for that one, but it's my philosophy, and hasn't failed me yet. It definitely simplifies things. Is there any reason you can't just plug the modem into the wan port and run it all off the router?

The problem I have is that the modem (which has WIFI) isn't powerful enough to get the WIFI signal throughout the house, hence the router. I'm such a networking spazz - can I switch the modem and router around?

Unless both devices are on the same ip range it won't work. Let's assume that the modem hands out 192.168.0.x addresses and the router 192.168.1.x if the xbox is one one and the pc on the other it won't look there as far a I know. Does your wireless router have the ability to work as just an access point instead of a router? If not might need to do some reconfiguring here to get both on the same range

Awful config + awful software = not working

You might want to set up the network properly and stop using shitty norton garbage.. Just a thought.

Connect the pc to the dlink not the modem.

It should be as simple as disabling DHCP on the router and switching the cable from the WAN port to one of the LAN ports. Then it will all be on the same network.

And if your modem puts out 192.168.x.x addresses, you don't need a firewall on your PC. A decent one might help, (Zonealarm or something) but Norton is shit these days IMO.

It should be as simple as disabling DHCP on the router and switching the cable from the WAN port to one of the LAN ports. Then it will all be on the same network.

And if your modem puts out 192.168.x.x addresses, you don't need a firewall on your PC. A decent one might help, (Zonealarm or something) but Norton is shit these days IMO.

NIS is more than just a firewall so you can't just look at it that way. It is antivirus, firewall, web filtering. Firewall part might not really be needed, but the other two are needed on a computer, antivirus more so, but web filtering is very good to have. Having something in place to block known dangerous sites.

Security Essentials is...essential IMO. :D

I really hate anything Norton if for no other reason than it's a bitch to uninstall. They obviously don't know how to write a program properly if it won't uninstall properly from the control panel, so I'm not sure how much protection you're actually getting anyway.

And browsers are pretty decent at filtering these days. I (personally) don't use anything, and don't feel like I need it. That's what MS Security Essentials should be doing.

Security Essentials is...essential IMO. :D

I really hate anything Norton if for no other reason than it's a bitch to uninstall. They obviously don't know how to write a program properly if it won't uninstall properly from the control panel, so I'm not sure how much protection you're actually getting anyway.

And browsers are pretty decent at filtering these days. I (personally) don't use anything, and don't feel like I need it. That's what MS Security Essentials should be doing.

Security Essentials is an antivirus program not a web filter. They are two different things. Although most of your paid programs are adding that in. But all the free programs for anti anything just give you the basics. and your browser can only do so much.

And trust me I dislike Symantec as much as the next guy, Backup Exec is the only thing I will use of theirs and even that is starting to get more and more iffy with every new version. Afraid to try 2010 R3 for fear of what it will kill. And with 2012 coming out in less than a month I am really afraid to see what they killed.

Exavior...

I am a product manager for Backup Exec. BE 2012 ships next week. If your maintenance is current, you will receive it within the next couple of weeks. You can grab the FA gold bits here: http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/first-availability-gold-build-backup-exec-2012 if you want to take a look.

I'm not going to give you a hard sell, but the new user experience is significantly different. I'm hoping you think we killed the right stuff and birthed some good new stuff.

Matt

Turn off or add Firewall exceptions. Setup Windows Media Center, use their Wizard.

Exavior...

I am a product manager for Backup Exec. BE 2012 ships next week. If your maintenance is current, you will receive it within the next couple of weeks. You can grab the FA gold bits here: http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/first-availability-gold-build-backup-exec-2012 if you want to take a look.

I'm not going to give you a hard sell, but the new user experience is significantly different. I'm hoping you think we killed the right stuff and birthed some good new stuff.

Matt

I have yet to think of that of single thing you have released. Every version of your software is worse than the last. Although i guess i'm just silly in thinking that functionality should remain and bugs should be killed off instead of the other way around that you guys do with your stuff.

even better is when "fixes" for Symantec software is to disable half the functionality and just stop trying to use those parts. That is the best fix ever. I am glad that was always the answer I got from your support. They are the best guys to work with.

Back