"Router-Mode" for my desktop

MeowMeow

n00b
Hey guys,

after hours of figuring out how to successfully activate an ad-hoc network connection that uses my VPN to connect to my university-network, I succeeded in turning my computer into a router.

Everything functions as I like, but now there's two issues I'd like to get sorted:

1) How do I secure my network, other than using a password? There's about 200 people living in my dorm building and I don't want others using the WiFi. Not because I'm egoistic, but simply for safety concerns. Gross misbehaviour can cost me my network account and I've grown accustomed to 20 Megabyte/s download speeds.

2) Is there anything I can do to effectively shut down my computer, with only the necessary programs running to maintain the connection?

My computer is my normal work and leisure machine, it's a big ass desktop running Windows 7. In lack of a wireless router, I created an ad-hoc* connection to have WiFi.
Now I want to be able to turn off the computer, like in some power-saving mode, but keep the necessary parts "awake" to keep up the wireless connection.

Cheers guys!

Last edited:
I'm surprised that after that many views, nobody is able to save me.

Question 1) is, admittedly, pretty google-able, but I would have loved to get your advice
Question 2) isn't, so if you know how to do it, please do consider taking the time to reply.

I'm surprised that after that many views, nobody is able to save me.

Question 1) is, admittedly, pretty google-able, but I would have loved to get your advice
Question 2) isn't, so if you know how to do it, please do consider taking the time to reply.

What OS?

Personally I don't understand what you have accomplished and I don't understand precisely what you are asking, so a little drawing or something like that would be nice.

From what I understand, your Windows 7 computer is your "gateway router" and you have a Wireless access point connected to that computer ?

1) You want to protect your wi-fi ? If so, use WAP or WAP2 with a long randomized password and you will be fine.

2) You want only to use the computer as a gateway router only with minimal services ? Well get rid of windows 7 would be a great start if you only use the computer as a router.

If you want to run your computer as a router Windows 7 wouldn't be the best decision unless you plan to load up VMWare/Virtualbox + pfSense or Smoothwall. That I could understand.

I did a very poor job indeed describing what I want.

My computer is my normal work and leisure machine, it's a big ass desktop running Windows 7. In lack of a wireless router, I created an ad-hoc* connection to have WiFi.
Now I want to be able to turn off the computer, like in some power-saving mode, but keep the necessary parts "awake" to keep up the wireless connection.

*My LAN connection's internet-access is shared with a WiFi-card

I did a very poor job indeed describing what I want.

*My LAN connection's internet-access is shared with a WiFi-card

Not possible.

Back