Router messed up?????

one1

Weaksauce
Hey, I have been having this problem for a few weeks now and have no idea why.... This is very strange.. I can not play multiplayer games on the internet... Steam will not load for counter-strike, starcraft will not load, and they all say the same thing, "Unable to establish a connection to server, please check your internet connection." I obviously have a connection as I am posting here... Also, I can not connect to a ventrillo server to talk with my friends, says the same thing. And, one last VERY weird problem, I can not log into my e-mail account at hotmail.com... I go to the site, and type in my username and password, and it brings up the 404 "Page can not be displayed" error.

My initial thought was my router was acting up. But, on my laptop, and my other computer hooked up to it, I can play games and log in to check my e-mail just fine.

Next, I figured I have to go into my router settings and change something, but when I try that, I get the "The page cannot be displayed" error. I know the address for it is http://192.168.0.1, but it just doesn't work....

I even tried changing my NIC, and I still get the same error.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?!?!?! This is driving me CRAZY :eek:

can you get to the router from the laptop?

try reseting the router, or even doing a full reset and reconfiguring it from a comp

I got to the config from my laptop, and tried reseting it, did not work. So I tried a total reconfig, and still, di dnot work. I also downloaded the latest firmware and installed it, and still did not work... I double checked all the filters and there wasn't anything blocking this one PC.... I am SOOOO CONFUSED :confused:

Sounds like one of your problems would be getting to secure site.s for example the page hotmail tries to take you to when you login and possibly your routers config. to check secure sites. see if this site comes up for you. http://update.charter.com ( it redirects t oa secure site ) if it doesnt load you defiantely have a problem with secure sites. First thing I'd check is to run spybot and adaware and see if you have any spyware in the system. Second would be a virus scan to check for any trojans. Since gamming and ventrilo would not depend on secure sites to connect it would lead me to belive another peice of software is causing your connection problems. I doubt its a router problem sine your other computer works fine.

funny I am getting the same thing and pulling my hair out. Only dealing with secure sites. googled the hell out of this one. Both IE and Mozilla. went through all their steps. made sure ssl 2.0 and 3.0 were checked. Spybot/ virus scans etc. I can securely log in on the intranet, I can get into the secure side of my linux test box: but as for anything online, no dice.

I am running winxp pro and there is no problems with a win2k box sitting in the same room.

I was trying to check for updates and patches (its been few weeks) but I cannot log into windows update. (catch 22)

Can anyone throw me a bone here?

No WU? Sounds like it could be a DNS issue. Verify your DNS server addresses in your router, and run "ipconfig /flushdns"

thanks for the fast response but still no luck.

I am not entirely sure how encryption works, I know the firewall port must be open. and the internal ports are tested. is there anyway in XP where it would block external requests? I pinged the IP of the dns servers I am using, and also switched over from DHCP to a static IP to rule out router settings.

This all started with me trying to figure out why my machine was lagging sporadically in CounterStrike. This led me to a hodgepodge chain of events causing me to shut down various services. I believe I have restarted everything properly and I just finished starting or attempting to start every service again. Still no dice.

I even thought of bringing my xp mobile down to stock speeds from one of your other thread suggestions but kind of enjoy the 20 percent overclock ;)

Lowbatt said:
Do you ahve a software based firewall at all?

Norton System Works

and here I go figuring that if I had the services stopped it would not be a factor. I was wrong. Once I uninstalled the suite everything is working fine. Even after taking a complete night of looking for similar problems on the symantec site nothing sprung up as being a potential answer.

I guess its time to shop for a new AV tool.

Thanks for suggesting that. I had a similar, but not exactly the same issue with pccillin about a year ago where it was not showing network drives but everything else, including ssl login was working fine. I had uninstalled it months before the issue showed up and after scanning through program installs I noticed there was a seperate install for the firewall, removing that one solved the problem.

I think I am going to start relying on hardware firewalls and my own computer skills (ex. not clicking on anything stupid or opening unsolicited emails) instead of packaged products.

Thanks again man. Now I can check my bank account and remind myself how poor I am
:p

I do tech support and am surprised I forgot to ask you the first time. I've seen the issue where the personal security part starts blocking secure sites. At least that fixed it. If you have a router and a good AV software. ( there is a thread about some in General Software) then you should be ok not to have a software based firewall.

Back