Router limited network speeds?

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
untitled-3.jpg

Above is a graph of my speed from uTorrent.

If you look and the start, and end of the graph my Download chugs along at ~450kB/s, and upload @ about 15kB/s

If I set my upload to 50kB/s my download drops to around 120-200kB/s

I doubt it's a setting in uTorrent or anything, I'm thinking this maybe a router problem, not being able to handle the in/out bound at the same time. Would I be correct?

Has anyone seen a similar issue?

I have a d-link WBR-2310 router on firmware 1.05
1 wired desktop, 1 laptop, and 1 wired xbox360
Only the desktop was connected when I torrent.

Last edited:
I would venture to guess it most definitely is the router. I used to have that exact model and boy was it a POS. I used to run a lot of torrents, both downloading and uploading and my internet would freeze multiple times a day. Turns out there were too many simulatneous connections for the router and it was locking up, requiring a hard reboot.

On the flipside, what's your connection plan from your ISP (U/D rate). If you set your upload to close to your max upload bandwidth, you'll choke your downstream. I believe it's recommended to set no higher than 80% of your max upload?

Anywho, that's my .02. Oh also, I replaced that router w. a Buffalo router hacked with tomato firmware and haven't had an issue since. Now I can run torrents to my heart's content! :D

Back