Router Issue

Okay, so I know very very very little about routers. That being said, I'm sharing an apartment with my girlfriend and another roommate, we're all three-waying on a Belkin Wirless G Plus Mimo Router (Part # F5D9230-4). Two of us are on wireless and the other is connected directly to the router. When the two wireless computers are both in use it starts stealing bandwidth from the other computer till it has virtually nothing. My roommate asked on another forum and was told that wireless G only supported two computers and that we would need to get a wireless N router, neither of us believe this and so I decided to ask on here. Is there any way to work around this issue?

can you explain this 'stealing of bandwidth'?

do you have programs running on the wireless clients that are eating up the bandwidth? like bittorrent?

you should be able to connect as many pc's as you want and if all you want to do is simple internet browsing and such, nothing should be stealing bandwidth.

Yeah it sounds to me that either torrents are stealing all the bandwidth or the router is being overloaded by P2P traffic trying to make more connections/second than it can handle.
If so, the other machines torrent clients need configuring to use less resources.

I don't really think anything is being overloaded. As far as the wireless goes, my girlfriend uses limewire occaisonally. My roommate on the wired machine plays Age of Conan and battlefield 1942 and says he uses ares whenever the two of us aren't at the apartment. I only use mine for browsing, the most I'd do is the occaisonal download of a driver or a game mod.

what happens if you shut down all processes on all pc's and have each one just browse the web? do you still have the problem in that scenario?

Back