router firmware tweaks

jf1288

Limp Gawd
I just realized that I can change my router's (Netgear wgr614) firmware. How useful is this? Are firmware's specific to a model, or are there 3rd party firmwares that can add some performance or better administration, the way you can get 3rd party drivers for your video card?

It depends on what exactly the new firmware does that will improve your router from it's existence firmware. Does this new 3rd party firmware offer something your current firmware doesn't? Is there something you want to do that your current firmware won't do?

If you are thinking about upgrading to DD-WRT then make sure your version will work with it. But to be honest, the Netgear WGR614 isn't the best choice if I was wanting to upgrade firmwares on my router. I have the same router but v.4 and I wouldn't upgrade the firmware on it.

my roommates just bought a random router (probably the cheapest at best buy) and I'm seeing what can be done with it. I didn't have any particular firmware in mind to change to. What kinds of interesting tweaks can you get out of a custom firmware?

It isn't the "tweaks" but more of added features a 3rd party firmware offers from the standard. DD-WRT and Tomato firmware is the two most popular 3rd party firmwares that majority people use. Look at the features of each firmware to see if there is something you need and if the router supports it then upgrade.

Back