Router debate, help!

PhattyT

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I've been debating between these two routers

Netgear r7500
Asus 87r

Originally I was leaning towards the older but popular Netgear r7000 but i was given Very competitive prices for the r7500 and 87r.

Been doing a lot of research on both and I'm torn between the two.

What would you choose and why?

1. None of the above, expensive for what it is...
2. No open source or "real" 3rd party firmware supports (OpenWRT etc)
3. QCA based platform, TP-Link Archer C5 or C7 v2.
//Danne

Well mainly the price I'm getting it for :X. What would you guys recommend?

1. None of the above, expensive for what it is...
2. No open source or "real" 3rd party firmware supports (OpenWRT etc)
3. QCA based platform, TP-Link Archer C5 or C7 v2.
//Danne

Yes... because 3rd party support is a requirement for 99% of the population!!

For that price you can build an Atom based mini-ITX box and load PF Sense as your router and snag a Unify AP to handle wireless duties...

@ QwertyJuan
I personally would at least to be able to keep my hardware as long as possible, that includes getting new software even after EoL.
//Danne

hrmm never thought about doing something like that... I'm a look into this option. Research time, thanks a lot everyone!

For that price you can build an Atom based mini-ITX box and load PF Sense as your router and snag a Unify AP to handle wireless duties...

Really depends on what your requirements are. If you just want a high-end consumer router for shits and giggles then either will do. If I'm going to spend $125+ though it damn well better support third-party software because not only can it later give you extended features you otherwise wouldn't have, it can squeeze the maximum potential out of the hardware.

I still think the Asus RT-N66U is one of the best routers out there as far as being time tested and carrying on the legacy of Linksys WRT56G with a solid user base. If you need AC go for one of the older models like the AC-66/68U models.

Back