Router connected to a modem-router

Boxerz

Limp Gawd
I moved into a house that has the AT&T all in one modem-router. The owners don't know much about computers nor the admin passwords to the router. I was trying to access the modem router as the admin but AT&T seems to have a pain in the butt security system from me making any changes. I wanted to forward some ports to setup my Synology DS212j Network Attached Storage (NAS). I connected my d-link router to the already setup modem router which I am now connected to. I have to run off to school but I was wondering, would I be able to forward the port off my d-link DIR-601 and be able to host my NAS server off that?

I don't have too much in-depth networking experience besides setting forwarding ports, setting static IPs, but I can't do that since I am not the admin for the AT&T router. I figure the password for the AT&T router is just defaulted to admin or blank but I haven't had time to fully test everything out.

Last edited:
Port forwarding will need to be done on the AT&T router. Ports forwarded on your Dlink router will still be blocked outside your local network by the AT&T router.

Damn, that's what it seemed. There are tons of ports to forward.

is 2Wire the brand for AT&T modem/router? I've never heard of it before..

2Wire makes mainly ADSL and VDSL modems. A few ISPs use them including mine.

If the original owner never set a different password to the router, check for a sticker on it, under a barcode, in brackets. That's the default. If it has changed you can probably reset to default, using the hardware reset method.

2Wire has been around since 1998 and their gateways are some of the most common network devices you will find in residential areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2Wire

Back