Router causes d/l speed to be 1/3?

denizenzero

Limp Gawd
Hi guys I have a Motorola SB5120 if I hook my cable internet up from my modem to router (D-Link Gamers Lounge) DGL 4300 I get max d/l speed of 4mbps on my computer.

If I bypass the router and hook directly to my computer my d/l speed shoots up to 12 mbps can anyone explain this and/or how to fix this? I've been searching online and have yet to find the answer.

My upload also increases dramatically when I bypass the router... it doesn't seem to me like it should be working this way?

My ISP is Time Warner/Roadrunner.

Best bet would be to google around to see if you can find anyone else with the same problem.

If your router cannot be fixed (maybe it needs a firmware update?) then I'd recommend a Zyxel Prestige 334W. I imagine newer models will be ok too (mine is really old).

I recommend it because I have high speed cable (15mb down, 1.5mb up) and my connection gets 100% maxed out with the router connected and it's been running great for at least 2 years.

You don't have any QoS set do you?

What are you using it for? Mainly as a switch, or do you port forward?

If it is mainly used as a switch, just download the latest firmware and reset the thing.
If it is actually doing routing functions, you might take note of them before doing that.
It gives you a chance to start new and only apply settings you need right now.

I should have supplied this information earlier. This also occurs if I use a LINKSYS WRT54G with DD-WRT installed and an old Tayak?(now in garage) modem. It really seems like Time Warner is somehow hosing me on purpose for using a router?

As far as current modem/router both are updated to most recent firmwares.

I've had problems with LinkSys in the past with speed issues. I'm not sure which model it was (I returned it the day after I realized it was stinking up my connection -- this was ages ago).

I really doubt TW is purposely capping your speed because of a router. It's much more likely the router is the culprit. It's either setup to be doing a lot of things or just incapable of supporting the speeds your line is capable of.

Are you running the speed tests from a reliable site at nearly identical times (within 5-10 minutes). If you're testing the router at 7pm, but doing your non-router test at 4am then it might be TW's fault (over saturated during prime time).

Edit: I have the exact same cable modem by the way.

Speed tests are being done via DSL reports and consistantly with either router I get 4mbps d/l and 130ish mbps upload.

Without router 12mbps d/l and upload shoots to like 2-something mbps. I've even tried their tech support but of course routers are unsupported!

This is a regular problem with home broadband routers.

I dont have a clue what they do with tha big chunk of bandwidth but it sure does go to waste.

Id recommend you play about with you router (BACKUP UP YOUR OLD CONFIG) to get better results, or even invest in a new one if it really is wasting ur internet.

I've found a half way work around I think... however motorola has no vista drivers! Maybe someone who has this modem can help me out. I am able to connect this modem to my computer via usb then "should be able to connect to the router".

However my computer won't connect to the internet when I plug from cable modem--->usb to my computer.

It does however work via cable modem ---> ethernet.

Any input from someone running vista with this modem on ethernet? Right now I'm just trying to set it up as if my computer were running cable modem>ethernet cable>my computer and vista won't connect.

Appreciate everyone's ideas and input!

If Vista doesn't have any drivers availible for it, not much you can do.

Try saving your old configuration, and doing a master reset of every single setting on that router (which should turn it into a switch more or less).
If you find it works, just configure it as you need it (for gaming or whatever). If after changing a certain setting and you find a decrease in speed- you found what is causing it.

My guess is someone else used those routers previously, and configured them to their situation. You are taking the leftovers without running through and setting it to how YOU need it to be.

I reset the router and redownloaded the firmware and still the same issue occurs. I stated before this issue also occured with a different router (Linksys) I had previously. I've been hitting up google with no luck and unfortunately the potential workaround by connecting to my computer via the USB cable isn't working in Vista.

For clarification current router is a D-LINK DGL 4300.

This really makes no sense to me I have no clue how a factory default router could be causing such lower speeds. I may try borrowing a friends router and seeing if issues change.

Right now hooked directly to my cable modem once again I am enjoying my 12mbps d/l speed!

Try looking up the wan to lan throughput for your router.
I know my Network Everywhere (Linksys) only has 8Mbps.
Luckily my net is only 768/128.

-Good Luck

Reset and redownloaded firmware again now I'm getting speeds like I should. No clue why it wasn't working but thanks for the help everyone!

Back