Router capable of 250mbps throughput?

p11

n00b
Hey guys, just upgraded my internet to 150/10 but with speedboost DL speeds hit 250 mbps. I currently have a e3200 and it tends to max out at 110mbps, any router recommendations that will support the full 250?

Thanks in advance!

The e3200 should be fine. Pulled from smallnetworkbuilder:

Routing throughput running the latest 1.0.00 build 13 firmware and our router test process measured 586 Mbps WAN to LAN, 582 Mbps LAN to WAN and 668 Mbps total with up and down tests running simultaneously. This is 50 - 100 Mbps lower than the E4200, but plenty for most Internet connections.

Strange, even when reset to factory defaults speeds never exceed 110mbps. Direct connection to the modem yields 250mbps every time. Is there any particular setting I should be looking at?

P.s. there are no additional switches or breaks in the line.

Doesn't over half of the routers on the market with a gigabit WAN port meet or exceed this?

pfSense using GbE take all of that and more. Your current problem could be TCP overhead, but it sounds a bit off.

Doesn't over half of the routers on the market with a gigabit WAN port meet or exceed this?
They may have the capacity at the port, but the next question is: Can the router process it fast enough, and will it choke under the pressure of high bandwidth?

I'm going to recommend pfSense and a decent old computer.

im curious, how are you testing these speeds?

Speeds are being tested via speedtest.net/ISP speedtest/actual download rates. All of them correspond so I know for sure the router is bottlenecking the connection.

Speeds are being tested via speedtest.net/ISP speedtest/actual download rates. All of them correspond so I know for sure the router is bottlenecking the connection.

Actually, you don't until you have tried the same test with a GbE machine connected directly to your modem.

Actually, you don't until you have tried the same test with a GbE machine connected directly to your modem.

I have.

Gigabit iMac --> Modem = 250mbps dl
Gigabit iMac --> E3200 --> Modem = 110mbps dl

Are you running modified firmware or anything extra inside the router outside of buy > install > plug and play?

In some cases SPI in the firewall can limit the performance, although it's hard to tell since you're talking about speedboost artificially pushing 250Mbps for a few seconds, but with 110Mbps vs 150Mbps I would venture to say it's less about limitations of the router being capable and more about what resources within the router you have enabled that are taking up precious clock cycles.

Are you running modified firmware or anything extra inside the router outside of buy > install > plug and play?

In some cases SPI in the firewall can limit the performance, although it's hard to tell since you're talking about speedboost artificially pushing 250Mbps for a few seconds, but with 110Mbps vs 150Mbps I would venture to say it's less about limitations of the router being capable and more about what resources within the router you have enabled that are taking up precious clock cycles.

I've tried it with factory settings, disabled wifi, disabled spi, dmz, and dd-wrt. All result in with the same 110mbps ceiling. DD-WRT actually can't break 75 mbps. I think it just comes down to the routers inability to handle those speeds.

I decided to try another router I had lying around (DIR-655) and surprisingly enough it reached 255 Mbps! I'm still confused as to why the E3200 couldn't.... any ideas?

It's a Linksys? Their stuff has seriously gone down-hill lately. I think they actually got worse after Cisco bought them. I have a WAP54G in daily use that has uptime measured in years. I have WRT54Gs in various flavors deployed that I never get called back on- not once. I haven't even bothered with their latest stuff. I use TP-link now for home use, TP-Link with openWRT for light Small Business/Home Office.

The RT-N56U can handle around 1.3Gb/s with Padavan's recent firmware. If you wish for SuperSpeed USB for NAS you can get the RT-65U which he supports with his firmware too. The routers have an integrated coprocessor that offloads NAT and other packet processing; including IPv6. This is why it can reach high throughput.

His firmware is some of the best work I have ever seen. He has updated the kernel to 3.x, and keeps everything up to date. When something is discovered to be a bug they work really hard on it. It is not like other 3rd parties in which you lose performance but gain utility. You gain both with his which makes me think often that I wish they can work on more routers.

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back