Router and Hub co-exist nicely?

I know this is a n00b question but I just want to make sure my plan will work before I pour money into it.

I have a dell giga bit router with dsl going into it and the dell router doing DHCP.

I have room very far away from the router with 2 net drops in the room in the wall.

The problem is that there are 5 devices which all need their own IP on the network but only 2 jacks.

Can I plug a hub or some device into one of the wall jacks and the 5 devices into the hub/device and all 5 devices get a unique IP from the Dell router?

Yes.. I have 2 differant hubs running off my router which is happy to pass out an IP when needed.

I had a USRobotics router running its own domain (192.168.100.x) which was connect to my main Linksys router running the 192.168.0.x domain. My Xbox and computer down stairs were able to get to the net no problem. I eventually turned off the DHCP or whatever its called on the USR and now it just acts like a switch running on the 0.x domain.

The only problem I ever had was one XP computer that was attached to my Linksys refused to see the Linksys and kept trying to access the internet through the USR. Other than that everything had been fine.

westrock2000 said:
I had a USRobotics router running its own domain (192.168.100.x) which was connect to my main Linksys router running the 192.168.0.x domain. My Xbox and computer down stairs were able to get to the net no problem. I eventually turned off the DHCP or whatever its called on the USR and now it just acts like a switch running on the 0.x domain.

The only problem I ever had was one XP computer that was attached to my Linksys refused to see the Linksys and kept trying to access the internet through the USR. Other than that everything had been fine.
Those are subnets, not domains. ;)

To the OP: get a switch rather than a hub. If you want a gigabit uplink to your router then you can get a switch with single gigE uplink port or a full gigE switch.

Back