Rout the router?

Matty2d

Weaksauce
Hey, Can i rout a router? (right now i have 8 port 10/100 SD208 Linksys (Wired) , what i want to do is take one of those connections ex. port 1 and split the connection again?, can that be done??)

Yes but you don't need another router, Just a switch, Plug one of the open ports, if you don't have an uplink port. and plug it into of the uplink port of the a switch and you'll have more ports.

Make sure to note that if you don't have an uplink port on either device or autosensing ports, that you WILL need a crossover cable to connect the two.

I don't want to ask stupid questions , but what in newbie language is a uplink port? Is it just a regular port @ the back of my router (this is all my router has [internet port] , [port1-filled],[port2-filled] , [port3],[port4]) so are you telling me i can just hookup a switch to port3 or 4 and it will give me more connections?

Yes just take into account that the swich needs to have an uplink port or you have a special network cable called a cross over cable.

technical, i think reply

hub- takes wires from each network card, puts them all together, reversed (tx->rx)

switch0 thinks about who needs to talk to who, reversed (tx->)

if you have a reversed port trying to talk to a reversed port, you get (tx->tx, rx->rx)

cross-over cable switched within the cable, so you end up with (tx port->crossed cable->tx port)

make sense?

bumpity bump

i need to do something similar to this.

situation . . .

internet coming through a dsl/cable linksys router. from there it goes to two compters and also a switch. the switch is connected to two computers.

i want to add a belkin 802.11b cable/dsl router into the mix. i was thinking connecting it to the lynksys router. maybe with a crossover cable from a port on the lynksys to the wan connector on the belkin? would this work?

and yes i am a networking noob

Why do you want to add anoter router? if all you need is more ports then just add a switch

Don't use the wan port of the other route just use the uplink port and make life simple

Back