Roundup: Nine GeForce GTX 460 1 GB Boards Benchmarked

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
This is a pretty good article on TomsHardware.com: Roundup: Nine GeForce GTX 460 1 GB Boards Benchmarked.

The following 9 GTX 460 (1 GB) video cards are compared:
– Asus ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5
– ECS Black Series GTX 460 NBGTX460-1GPI-F
– EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1024 MB EE (External Exhaust)
– Gigabyte GTX 460 GV-N460OC-1GI
– Jetway's Exibition Card
– MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC
– Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum Overclocking Edition
– Sparkle GeForce GTX 460 1024 MB GDDR5
– Zotac GeForce GTX 460 1 GB

Pretty worthless review without a noise comparison. The noise levels are the only real minefield in the GTX 460 product range, since nearly every card uses a custom cooler.

Yay, I really needed a review to tell me that overclocked cards use more power and have higher performance!

The only useful conclusion after 20 pages of review is this: the price/performance spread between all cards reviewed is less than 15%, which means you won't get significantly ripped-off buying any of these cards.

Last edited:
Sorry for thread crapping but please don't link to those bastards. If you remember 9/11 and you were a follower of the H at those time then you would know that Toms gave HardOCP shit about reporting on the days events on a Hardware news and review site. Some years ago they even use to have the Hard news, hell they might even still.

I didn't know about the politics between [H] and TH, nor do I really care about it 1 way or another.

Yes, a friend whom I sent the article to, after reading it, said that he wishes they used a decibel meter to measure the sound of each card. I guess 1 can sort of assume that more power consumption = more noise, even though that might not always be the case.

The warranties might be the ultimate discriminator out of these 9 (really 8, since the Jet one doesn't count) cards.

Pretty much all you have to do is follow the clock speeds on this article.

I didn't know about the politics between [H] and TH, nor do I really care about it 1 way or another.

Tom's is still the only decent source for hierarchy charts.

I think if you literally only go to one site for hardware information and news you might as well just live under a rock.

That said I wasn't too impressed with the round up. It basically said to me " All the cards performed the same we had to stretch to find any difference"

Yes, a friend whom I sent the article to, after reading it, said that he wishes they used a decibel meter to measure the sound of each card. I guess 1 can sort of assume that more power consumption = more noise, even though that might not always be the case.

Normally, this is a correct measure. If all the cards use the same cooler and BIOS settings, then you can bet that the noise is related to power consumption.

However in the case of the GTX 460, almost every single model uses a different fan and heatsink. Some of these designs are known to be extremely loud, like the Zotac, Galaxy and EVGA EE cards, while others like the Gigabyte and reference cooler boards are known for their silence. We have little comparable hard data because noise is "relative," based largely on test conditions.

It would be nice to have a noise measurement in a roundup like this, because it would remove any uncertainty in the methods, and would give a completely clear picture of what you're getting. This could have been the first Tom's article in years that was linked all over this forum, but because they half-assed it, it's just another forgettable review.

^ True, I noticed that many people on Tom's Hardware stated they want noise measurements to be included. If the author reads the comments of his article, then perhaps they'll do that in the future. I agree it'd be good to include since it provides the identical environment for all of the video cards in the test, the lone difference being the video card tested.

Back