rounded X-Fi <--> front bay cable?

Deusfaux

Gawd
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
756
IS there something I can do to replace or round that god awful ugly grey ribbon cable creative uses to go from the x-fi to the front bay ports (on the platinum, fatality, etc)

Its easily the biggest and most ugly cable in my otherwise nice and tidy build and I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas beyond folding it in half for the majority of it's length.
 
Yes there is a company out there that makes them, but they are incredibly expensive.
 
You can round any ribbon cable. Its really easy, just take a razor blade and puncture between every 3rd or 4th wire. Then pinch both sides of the wire and pull the strands apart at the puncture all the way to the end of the cable terminations. Then bundle it together and wrap with electrical tape or whatever you feel like wrapping it with.
 
Yes there is a company out there that makes them, but they are incredibly expensive.


Are you sure you're not thinking of the X-Fi ---> Case Audio cable? Cuz I'm aware of that and that's not what this is about


^^^ but I like the creative thinking of the guy above me.





Would it be possible to simply use a rounded IDE cable? I'll have to count the pins and stuff..
 
Are you sure you're not thinking of the X-Fi ---> Case Audio cable? Cuz I'm aware of that and that's not what this is about


^^^ but I like the creative thinking of the guy above me.





Would it be possible to simply use a rounded IDE cable? I'll have to count the pins and stuff..

No, the bay unit cable. I haven't seen it in a long time, might have been for the old units or some basement guy making them.

Anyways, yeah you can try two ide cables if needed, not much you need to worry about to match them up.
 
are the cables for the x-fi (fatality,platinum) are the same with ordinary cables?anyway i dont believe they sell the cables here but they can do it for you p-pcs:eek:
 
good call on the p-pcs, I got UV blue sleeved ATX and P4 power extension cables from them cuz my PSU couldnt reach in the P180. i like the work they did
 
IDE cables are 40 pins, just try a regular 1 device (two connector) rounded IDE cable
 
The catch is that 'regular' IDE cables are keyed in a pin that is in use in the AD_EXT header, it must be an unkeyed IDE cable like the one MrE linked.
 
You used to find unkeyed IDE cables...Haven't seen any for awhile though. I would just do the DIY and possibly put some large heatshrink around and it should look very slick when it's done.
 
I'm fairly sure that you can do it with keyed ide cables as well. I could be wrong, but I think my old roomate just bought a regular rounded ide cable, and that worked just fine for him. He might have gotten an unkeyed though, i never thought to ask...
 
The link MrE posted works. Although, that's 1 fat rounded cable.

I would still prefer to get it sleeved by PPC, though it is 15$.
 
for the meanwhile, I cut it into 10 sections of 4 wires each, then twisted it into a rounded looking cable, and held it together with elastics. much smaller space-wise at least, though still ugly as sin
 
You can round any ribbon cable. Its really easy, just take a razor blade and puncture between every 3rd or 4th wire. Then pinch both sides of the wire and pull the strands apart at the puncture all the way to the end of the cable terminations. Then bundle it together and wrap with electrical tape or whatever you feel like wrapping it with.

That's exactly what I did. I then use cable sleeving (in black or color of your choice).
 
if you get a keyed cable just put a lot of even pressure on the connector until that pin breaks through the key... its just a little bit of plastic they put on the end
 
if you get a keyed cable just put a lot of even pressure on the connector until that pin breaks through the key... its just a little bit of plastic they put on the end

wow....I always thought that plastic was somehow molded solid into that pin slot. I gotta try this out.

thanks for the tip!
 
for the meanwhile, I cut it into 10 sections of 4 wires each, then twisted it into a rounded looking cable, and held it together with elastics. much smaller space-wise at least, though still ugly as sin
as previously mentioned you could always use some heatshrink or do what i did and just wrap it up with some black electrical tape.
 
Back
Top