• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Round 2: Pushing 4670K, learning Haswell

EzeroMobile50K

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 2, 2012
Messages
262
Hello, I had a previous post in the 'Intel Processor' sub forum regarding this process. It is my first, well now 2nd time dealing with Haswell. The previous thread was using a GA-Z87x-UD4H. And I was able to pull 4.2ghz pretty stable as far as I could tell with prime95 at 1.2v. Thermals were around 90c. When trying to push 4.4ghz, somewhat stable voltage (1.285v) thermals breached 100c. Since then I have acquired an Asus Maximus VI Hero, and a 2nd 4670K. I also got a 2nd front intake fan for the R4 (corsair AF140 quiet edition), and an EVO to replace the 212+.

This time around I will be using intel linpack for stress testing, unless anyone thinks there's a reason I shouldn't. I look forward to going back to an Asus bios. Coming from Asus going to Gigabyte was less than exciting. The board wasn't bad at all. Physically it's great. The programming just wasn't as intuitive as I had experienced and hope to experience tomorrow with Asus.

So, tomorrow, I will be embarking into the world of open cases, cranked up air conditioning, and hours of running stress tests. I will be reporting my progress here in this thread and looking to you guys for some guidance. I'm familiar with the very basics of overclocking, as with Sandy Bridge, however the dozens of voltage oriented knobs that come with Haswell have thrown me through a bit of a loop. I've learned a bit with my first go, but am still far from having mastered the process of OCing Haswell.

Thanks in advance and look forward to seeing feedback. :D See you guys around sundown tomorrow!

Edit: It is my goal that this thread will not only provide information and assistance with my own endeavor, but also help others going down the same route.
 
Last edited:
I'm running 4.7 at 1.4v with a custom loop but my cpu is delidded. My "knobs" are below

47x100
cpu volts: 1.4V
cache at 40
cache volts at 1.2
VRIN at 2.0

Everything else can be on auto. Temps don't go past 80 intel burn test.
 
I'm running 4.7 at 1.4v with a custom loop but my cpu is delidded. My "knobs" are below

47x100
cpu volts: 1.4V
cache at 40
cache volts at 1.2
VRIN at 2.0

Everything else can be on auto. Temps don't go past 80 intel burn test.

Those are some good temps for that high of voltage. What TIM are you using under CPU lid? I'll likely be delidding if the cpu proves to be a winner.
 
Alright! Getting started a lot later than intended. Seems to be the running theme. In any case, my lab is all set up to drop ambients. Going to remove the UD4H and install the Maximus VI Hero. Be right back!
 
Haswell needs watercooling to reach it's potential. People trying to OC using air cannot bunp up the voltage needed to get a decent OC. I am using an H100i and a 4670K and have to pump 1.35v to get stable at 4.4GHz but my temps are very reasonable. I max out at 64C doing stress tests. I can boot at 4.5GHz and 1.38v but it is not stable. I think it needs over 1.4v to get there but I'm happy with 4.4GHz. The vCore and Ring voltage is really the only thing to mess with. My MSI board has about a dozen different voltages to set and I have everything on auto.
 
Haswell needs watercooling to reach it's potential. People trying to OC using air cannot bunp up the voltage needed to get a decent OC. I am using an H100i and a 4670K and have to pump 1.35v to get stable at 4.4GHz but my temps are very reasonable. I max out at 64C doing stress tests. I can boot at 4.5GHz and 1.38v but it is not stable. I think it needs over 1.4v to get there but I'm happy with 4.4GHz. The vCore and Ring voltage is really the only thing to mess with. My MSI board has about a dozen different voltages to set and I have everything on auto.

You are correct, in regards to stress tests. Of course I'm not super experienced yet, but from what I find all over the internet, your highest temps are going to be during stress tests. Average gaming won't push the CPU anywhere near as hard. So, if I find really nice overclock while stress testing, (In my small room being pumped with an overprovisioned AC unit down to like 60f. That solves that. I should be able to leave it there and run it in normal situations without worrying too much about high temps. I'm betting I can push it pretty hard with the ambients I'll be using in just a short while here. I'd be more worried about having a safe voltage. (I don't really know what a safe voltage is?) My gut feeling tells me to stay at or below 1.3v just for the sake of caution. I'm sure someone will chime in with some factual numbers on 24/7 safe voltages that pose no chance of adverse effects.

Got the board in and rig is setup. Aesthetically the board ain't bad to look at. Everything installed physically without a hitch. Nice intuitive layout. Only thing that erks me, and it's the R4's fault not these motherboard's. Is that the "L" shaped plugs on the sata 6gb/s render them unusable in the way they were meant to used. The backplate rubber grommet hole sits just a little too far away from the sata plugs for the L adapter to fit through the hole. Fortunately the Hero comes with 3 straight cables, and 3 L cables.

Edit: As a side note, I also spent a great deal of time making some changes to my main rig and cleaning it out. (I REALLY REALLY !@#$%^ING hate the Silverstone front bay converter that converts it to the size that allows you to use the Silverstone USB 3.0 front bay that also doubles as a SSD cage. Picture.. SSD's being installed inside an internal cage, that installs inside a larger cage that's upside down closing off all viewing angles that has really fat stiff annoying USB 3.0 cables running through it (that happen to still be plugged into the Motherboard and zip-tied down) and having to perfectly aline them together so screw holes line up, they aren't on tracks together to make things easy, and having to balance a screw on the tip of your screwdriver and point it up through the holes and hit the screw hole. It was a very sweaty and frustrating night.
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: Got into the bios, updated the bios to the latest. Sofar liking the bios, and overall programming with the motherboard. Tested out some of the features, SSD erase being one. At this point I am satisfied with the move from the UD4H. It's like the difference between eating at a restaurant with amazing food and derpy service, and eating at a restaurant with the same food, but your server reads you a soothing tale and offers to do your laundry while you eat. Features, but I feel the features were worth the money this time. MOST computer users however will likely not notice these features whatsoever. The price tag difference will mean more to them. $115 for a UD4H was a damn good deal. But I'm an Asus man it seems. Onward to OS installation and then drivers, and pushing CPU. This one is "Malay" last one was "Costa Rica".

This is idling at 28c 1.008v in bios. I am about 85% sure it's running at stock 3.4ghz. Gigabyte was kinda tricky, it stated 34x multi stock but in the monitor section it read an actual 3.8ghz. I guess the gigabyte bios pushed cpu in turbo, and asus bios isn't doing so?
Also CM 212 Evo RPM at 680~.
 
Update: Now beginning overclocking process! Trying out Linpack for the first time, was a little confusing at first, but now I just need a good set of input variables that people are using on haswell, for equations to solve, leading dimensions for array, how many trials, and amount of ram to use. I will likely be going back to prime95 for the sake of comparing my results to the last chip. But when I am done I will try linpack to test for stability.

RealTemp 3.70 for temp monitoring, seems a lot more jumpy with linpack. And CPU-Z 1.64.0.
 
Update: I ran stable on Costa Rica with 4.2 @ 1.2v, never tried 4.3, but it took around 1.285v to be stable enough for prime95 to run for a minute. And temps breached 100c.

Malay is doing great sofar I think.
Vcore is set to 1.2 flat (manual) in bios, so I guess the 1.216 is just w/e.

42x multi by all cores, 1.200 manual voltage. (XMP)
b7eums.jpg


Oops, got an abrupt system reboot shortly after posting this. Guess I'm upping the voltage to 1.225v
 
Last edited:
Update: I ran stable on Costa Rica with 4.2 @ 1.2v, never tried 4.3, but it took around 1.285v to be stable enough for prime95 to run for a minute. And temps breached 100c.

Malay is doing great sofar I think.
Vcore is set to 1.2 flat (manual) in bios, so I guess the 1.216 is just w/e.

That's been my experience so far too. The Costa Rican chips aren't turning out to be the great overclockers people expected.
 
Update: Last night just before bed I stopped after about 4 hours of prime95 4.4ghz @ 1.225v manual. I switched to adaptive voltage and almost immediately noticed system restarts and frequent BSODs during normal activity. I concluded, with very limited knowledge, that it was probably due to adaptive voltage undervolting too much during idle. I looked around and found a thread about a similar issue here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1711682/tips-overclocking-4670k/page-4.html Within that thread someone posted some tips and a link to a very nice asus z87 ocing guide. http://rog.asus.com/242142013/labels/rog-exclusive/maximus-vi-series-uefi-guide-for-overclocking/

I set my turbo voltage to 1.225v, change the offset from auto to 0.001v, and I THINK I changed cache voltage from auto or w/e it was on to adaptive. I forget if it was cache but I changed something around there to adaptive to match. Sofar no problems have happened during normal usage. I'll be trying out some games soon. I don't think I'll be stress testing on adaptive mode. Doubt it's a good idea. At some point in the future I may further stress test for stability but it seems pretty stable at 4.4ghz 1.225v. Probably not rock solid but for now. I hit 99c during the 4 hours of prime. So I will need to upgrade cooling, and probably delid. I'm satisfied with the chip it can be stable at 4.4 below 1.250v. So on to improve cooling! The corsair AF140 quiet edition I got for the 2nd front intake on the fractal r4 is rather disappointing. Don't feel like it's propelling air very well. Might work for an exhaust, but not what I want for an intake. Any recommendations? Considering going for another fractal r4 case fan, but I'd like a little more oomph without having to delve into the ugliness that is the noctua line-up.
 
Update: Last night just before bed I stopped after about 4 hours of prime95 4.4ghz @ 1.225v manual. I switched to adaptive voltage and almost immediately noticed system restarts and frequent BSODs during normal activity. I concluded, with very limited knowledge, that it was probably due to adaptive voltage undervolting too much during idle. I looked around and found a thread about a similar issue here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1711682/tips-overclocking-4670k/page-4.html Within that thread someone posted some tips and a link to a very nice asus z87 ocing guide. http://rog.asus.com/242142013/labels/rog-exclusive/maximus-vi-series-uefi-guide-for-overclocking/

I set my turbo voltage to 1.225v, change the offset from auto to 0.001v, and I THINK I changed cache voltage from auto or w/e it was on to adaptive. I forget if it was cache but I changed something around there to adaptive to match. Sofar no problems have happened during normal usage. I'll be trying out some games soon. I don't think I'll be stress testing on adaptive mode. Doubt it's a good idea. At some point in the future I may further stress test for stability but it seems pretty stable at 4.4ghz 1.225v. Probably not rock solid but for now. I hit 99c during the 4 hours of prime. So I will need to upgrade cooling, and probably delid. I'm satisfied with the chip it can be stable at 4.4 below 1.250v. So on to improve cooling! The corsair AF140 quiet edition I got for the 2nd front intake on the fractal r4 is rather disappointing. Don't feel like it's propelling air very well. Might work for an exhaust, but not what I want for an intake. Any recommendations? Considering going for another fractal r4 case fan, but I'd like a little more oomph without having to delve into the ugliness that is the noctua line-up.

Thanks for posting that! I can run Aida64 for hours without issue but running some games for a minute or two will cause BSODs. You got me thinking it might be the adaptive voltage not working right.
 
I guess I got really lucky with my chip. Running 4.6 at 1.25v, max temps in IBT is 83, max temps in prime95 blend 24 hours is 70, under an h100i. Haven't even delidded the CPU, and with the temps I have, don't see the need to, as I'm happy with 4.6.
 
I guess I got really lucky with my chip. Running 4.6 at 1.25v, max temps in IBT is 83, max temps in prime95 blend 24 hours is 70, under an h100i. Haven't even delidded the CPU, and with the temps I have, don't see the need to, as I'm happy with 4.6.

So many people using H100i's now. :O IDK if I wanna get a h100i, or like a noctua d14 equivalent (less ugly)
 
One thing you might do is setup manual fan speeds for the Evo in bios . you can do pretty good job of controling it there w/o software .
I found default idle speed to be like 600 and below a little which kicked off Asus fan error (to low speed ) , which you can adjust in bios to .
I ended up having fan run 50% at idle and under max load it goes to like 80- 85% , so in games it does maybe 60-65% .

Try something like this in cpu fan profiles
CPU low limit [600] >500rpm

CPU fan min duty cycle %=[20]>35%
CPU upper limit =[ 70] >60deg (lower this till you get max rpm wanted)
 
Last edited:
48x100
vcore: 1.3V
http://valid.canardpc.com/2891457

Watercooling and IHS removed to change the original crap TIM.

It your prime stable you may have the best chip I've ever heard of. Takes me 1.49v for prime stable at 4.7 and as much as I'd like 4.8 (I'm OCD so trust me, it's very much desired for the even number alone) I can't go over 1.5. Already getting nervous as it is considering this is my 24/7 lol
 
Back
Top