Rosewill Thor V2 Full-Tower Gaming Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
The crew at Tweaknews say they were very impressed with the Rosewill Thor V2 full-tower gaming case. If you are in the market for a case you might want to check this one out.

Having never reviewed any Rosewill products in the past, I really didn't know what to expect. To say that I was impressed with the Thor V2 full-tower chassis would be a bit of an understatement. With top-of-the-line cooling performance, a rich and innovative feature set, great looks and a roomy and convenient interior, this is the best full-tower chassis I've seen in a long time.
 
Isn't Rosewill Newegg's personal brand? I believe they rebrand other manufacturer's products.
 
Isn't Rosewill Newegg's personal brand? I believe they rebrand other manufacturer's products.

TweakTown said:
According to information I found on their website, Rosewill is a private label subsidiary of online retail giant Newegg.com. So what does this actually mean? Usually this means that products are manufactured or provided by one company for offer under another company's (in this case Rosewill's,) brand.
;)

Looks like a nice case, for sure. I think the top vents are kinda ridiculous, though.
 
Not a bad looking case. I don't like that it uses USB 3 cables instead of a header though. On top of that blue cables. I'd rather see headers and not have to manage blue cables across a black case. Not having a window does offset that complaint a bit, but still it looks stupid having those cables hanging out the back of the case.

I don't know if it's just me, but when people review big cases with tons of room I'd like to see them try to use higher end hardware. A stock AMD cooler and 8800GTS really don't seem like proper choices for reviewing a giant $150 case.
 
My wife almost got this case.

We spent days doing research on a new case for her, it came down to this one, and the new Thermaltake Chaser MK-1

She ended up with the MK-1.

Both are great cases, if I was in the market for a new case, it would more than likely be the Thor!
 
This case seems to have pretty much everything I could ask for. I agree on not having the motherboard headers for the USB cables, but that's easily remedied with a bit of cutting & splicing (or just remove the bracket). If it had a hot swap HD dock, I'd be in heaven.
 
I just wrote a full and build out review over at Benchmark reviews for the THOR 2. I'm pretty pleased with its layout and air design. Check out the review if you link: And please note, I'm not spamming--I didn't even link it, kay? :) I swapped my hardware from a Cooler Master 830 stacker evo, so yeah, I like the THOR2.
 
Actually I think this is re branded case, Looks very familiar. Dont mean to bash on rosewill but they have never made something worthwhile. Just like this case they didn't actually make it.
But more power to ya if you like the design from rosewill (outside) then go get it, Just think companies that re brand or make horrible hardware like their power supplies don't deserve my business...we all know their power supplies are not good, Never seen jonnyguru review on them but I can bet you they are not what company claims they are rated at. Which in my eyes is lying to customer...Not good.
 
It is a knock off for sure, but may company's do the same thing with small differences, such as fans, fan mounts, and outside aesthetics, including paint. In fact, I don't think any case company has it's own case manufacturing site at all. They all contract the work out. I think the design may have been from Aerocools X Predator:
http://www.aerocool.com.tw/index.php/products/chassis/28-pgsb/110-xpredator-evil-black
Which looks better any way--lol.

In any event, this case is well designed. Tons of room on both sides and cable management is great. What I like about it most is that it uses a main 3x 230mm fan setup, and the fans are all dead easy to take out. I can run my 3.8Ghz i7 920 full out with no front fan on and only the top and side fan blowing air, not even the back 140mm exhaust on, and the fans spin at only 790RPMs, so they're very quite. Again, this isn't any Kudos to Rosewill (Except they picked a good case to knock off), but for the original design they knocked off.

Believe me, I ripped Rosewill a new ass on some aspects of this case. Read my review and you'll see. I wish they would have given us some Bitfenix 230mms with fluid dynamic bearings, however. But the case design is very good, even if it is a knock off.
 
Heard Rosewill products for the first time. Looks pretty cool and has a quality. I am about to buy one for myself.
 
Two points here: (1) You can find converter plugs for the USB cables so you can plug them into the MB and (2) In my review, I set the rig up with a GTX295 samich, a core 920, Gigabyte X58 Extreme v2, 6 hard drive, two of which are Western Digital 640 Blacks and two of which are SSDs, two DVD writers, a Kingwin modular 1000 watt PSU, card reader/usb header, and a hard drive hot swap bay. Check the review out over at Benchmark reviews if you want. I'd love to hear your comments.

Not a bad looking case. I don't like that it uses USB 3 cables instead of a header though. On top of that blue cables. I'd rather see headers and not have to manage blue cables across a black case. Not having a window does offset that complaint a bit, but still it looks stupid having those cables hanging out the back of the case.

I don't know if it's just me, but when people review big cases with tons of room I'd like to see them try to use higher end hardware. A stock AMD cooler and 8800GTS really don't seem like proper choices for reviewing a giant $150 case.
 
Two points here: (1) You can find converter plugs for the USB cables so you can plug them into the MB and (2) In my review, I set the rig up with a GTX295 samich, a core 920, Gigabyte X58 Extreme v2, 6 hard drive, two of which are Western Digital 640 Blacks and two of which are SSDs, two DVD writers, a Kingwin modular 1000 watt PSU, card reader/usb header, and a hard drive hot swap bay. Check the review out over at Benchmark reviews if you want. I'd love to hear your comments.

Very good job. You touched on a few really good points that I don't see often in reviews and a few I've never seen in a review before. I never understood why companies don't glue the routing grommets down. It's a few seconds of work, no real extra cost and it makes people extremely happy when they don't fall out. When I was first putting a system into my Phantom the grommet just popped completely off when I tried to route my 24 pin connector. Should have thought of the Frisbee thing with those, would have given them some use outside of annoying me.
 
The cable management looks like it should work well in this case, Over all it seems like a good case that isn't all that ugly.
 
Seems to have most of the features of the Thermaltake V9, hope that side fan has a filter, I didn't see one on there.
 
Well, it does not. However, the little holes do catch dust well after a small amount of dust builds up on them. We'll have to see how well it works. You could make one too which would be really easy. I might mod it to have a filter depending on whether or not the screen works.

Seems to have most of the features of the Thermaltake V9, hope that side fan has a filter, I didn't see one on there.
 
It is a knock off for sure, but may company's do the same thing with small differences, such as fans, fan mounts, and outside aesthetics, including paint. In fact, I don't think any case company has it's own case manufacturing site at all. They all contract the work out. I think the design may have been from Aerocools X Predator:
http://www.aerocool.com.tw/index.php/products/chassis/28-pgsb/110-xpredator-evil-black
Which looks better any way--lol.

In any event, this case is well designed. Tons of room on both sides and cable management is great. What I like about it most is that it uses a main 3x 230mm fan setup, and the fans are all dead easy to take out. I can run my 3.8Ghz i7 920 full out with no front fan on and only the top and side fan blowing air, not even the back 140mm exhaust on, and the fans spin at only 790RPMs, so they're very quite. Again, this isn't any Kudos to Rosewill (Except they picked a good case to knock off), but for the original design they knocked off.

Believe me, I ripped Rosewill a new ass on some aspects of this case. Read my review and you'll see. I wish they would have given us some Bitfenix 230mms with fluid dynamic bearings, however. But the case design is very good, even if it is a knock off.

Yeah, but you know what I mean lol. Maybe other companies don't design or make there cases but they normally come up with the layout. I do give them props for picking good layout case though. Im just still angry with them from like 4-5 years ago when I bought power supply and didn't know much about computers and fin thing wasn't even close to 450w and it really went up in smoke. Why I only use Pc power n cooling now =)
 
Back
Top