Roomba Reportedly Activates Itself, Commits Suicide

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In one of the first cases of robot suicide, a Roomba vacuuming robot managed to activate itself and somehow crawl onto a hot stove top and committed robocide. :D

“I don’t know about the allegations of a robot suicide but the homeowner is insistent that the device was switched off – it’s a mystery how it came to be activated and ended up making its way to the hotplate.”

What good is a Roomba on a counter? It makes it kind of hard to clean the floors.

Also, only an idiot leaves the stove on while they are out of their home.

yeah, what was the roomba doing on the counter? Mine lives in it's dock in the closet.

Would it have been so terrible to pick up a broom and help the little guy out once in a while? How can anyone be so heartless?

I heard this a few weeks ago, slashgear ftl :p

Roomba put on counter, roomba tries to get back to docking station or goes back to cleaning after stupid owner forgot to turn it off. Owner is huge dumbfuck because he also forgot to turn off the stove, roomba doesn't know any better and moves along random path that gets it hung up on coils of stove. Owner decides to share his story because he's hoping someone will give him a new one because the owner is a dumbfuck.

The damage from the fire resulted in an uninhabitable home

What part of a vacuum burning up makes a home uninhabitable?

I could see if it burned the house down, but if the Roomba just burned up on top of the stove I don't see where the problem is.

What part of a vacuum burning up makes a home uninhabitable?

I could see if it burned the house down, but if the Roomba just burned up on top of the stove I don't see where the problem is.

The house is now haunted by the Roomba's ghost.

The Roomba's supposed death was the result of a conspiracy led by this guy.

toaster.jpg

"The Depressed Little Roomba"
A Pixar/Disney Film

roombas can be programmed to "Wake" at certian times and start doing thier thing.

as others said.. why the hell put it on a counter?

And Apple sues Roomba because Apple feels only they should be allowed to have "smart" devices that burst into flames!
Don't worry, they're trying to patent that "feature" retroactive.

roombas can be programmed to "Wake" at certian times and start doing thier thing.

as others said.. why the hell put it on a counter?

Yup! Roomba was probably on a timer. There is no way the owner should get a new Roomba, and insurance shouldn't cover the damage (user stupidity).

Bah, first robot suicide dates back to 1986 when robots cleaning roof of Chernobyl power plant malfunctioned and jumped off the roof.

Soon robots will have their own workers union and since all skilled workers are gone, they can negotiate lucrative contracts for their services... ;)

Was Gene Simmons in the area?

Better call Mr. Selleck, we have a runaway.

What good is a Roomba on a counter?

According to the original daily mail article the owner had spilled some cereal on the counter and he decided to use his Roomba to clean it up. Then when it was done he just switched it off and left it on the counter.

It seems to me that it would physically require more work to go get the Roomba and stick it on the counter than it would to just clean the counter by hand. But what do I know. Surely he didn't have any other motivation for leaving it up there.

The homeowner said: 'The company that makes the robots is selling dangerous devices, I intend to sue to get compensation. It has ruined my home as everything is smoke damaged.'

Dangerous devices?

What a POS, seriously. I hope "The Company" sues him for defamation. General stupidity should be a crime.

Roomba put on counter, roomba tries to get back to docking station or goes back to cleaning after stupid owner forgot to turn it off. Owner is huge dumbfuck because he also forgot to turn off the stove, roomba doesn't know any better and moves along random path that gets it hung up on coils of stove. Owner decides to share his story because he's hoping someone will give him a new one because the owner is a dumbfuck.

The truth is along these lines.

Yup! Roomba was probably on a timer. There is no way the owner should get a new Roomba, and insurance shouldn't cover the damage (user stupidity).

Agree. I know that in some things that aren't covered by insurance if they start a fire. For example candles and space heaters. I could see something like this being something that they could work into a do not have to pay out for clause where it is due to your own actions that caused the fire

haha! Burn :D

It did, that is why we have this story ;)

According to the original daily mail article the owner had spilled some cereal on the counter and he decided to use his Roomba to clean it up. Then when it was done he just switched it off and left it on the counter.

It seems to me that it would physically require more work to go get the Roomba and stick it on the counter than it would to just clean the counter by hand. But what do I know. Surely he didn't have any other motivation for leaving it up there.

agreed

Dangerous devices?

What a POS, seriously. I hope "The Company" sues him for defamation. General stupidity should be a crime.

While you can sue for anything, given that this isn't the USA I wouldn't think it would be allowed. And agree that general stupidity should be a crime. But instead of putting them in jail we just need an island that we can drop them off on. Cuts down on cost.

Agree. I know that in some things that aren't covered by insurance if they start a fire. For example candles and space heaters. I could see something like this being something that they could work into a do not have to pay out for clause where it is due to your own actions that caused the fire

It did, that is why we have this story ;)

agreed

While you can sue for anything, given that this isn't the USA I wouldn't think it would be allowed. And agree that general stupidity should be a crime. But instead of putting them in jail we just need an island that we can drop them off on. Cuts down on cost.

Australia

Just another piece of evidence that robots capture the souls of dead people who just want to remain dead.

When will people listen to me???

So he's absolutely sure that he turned the Roomba off... But the stove was still on while he left the house.

shenanigans.jpg

Hopefully other Rumbas sued this idiot for mental distress.

"Ever since I heard this story, I've had insomnia, and my sex life is gone."

Hopefully other Rumbas sued this idiot for mental distress.

"Ever since I heard this story, I've had insomnia, and my sex life is gone."

Disclaimer: Insomnia was a pre-existing condition and the sex life was non-existent before the fact :D

The homeowner said: 'The company that makes the robots is selling dangerous devices, I intend to sue to get compensation. It has ruined my home as everything is smoke damaged.

What a douchebag...

I'm curious to why, or even how the Roomba made it's way onto the counter, kinda feel sorry for it.

Back