Room color scheme

Annekah

n00b
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
7
Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I want to paint my room with this picture from Ikea being what the colors are based off of:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00128819 (it looks awesome in person)

It is a black and white photo but the cabs have been left yellow, and I really like it.

I want my room colors to match this, with an overall guy feel (I'm a guy, I don't want it too girly)

Basically I want 2 main colors: One color is going to be on the three main walls of my room, and then the other color I want to be on the focal point wall of my room (where I have my tv and desk and such). There can also be an accent color like the molding and such.

The room is smallish, about the size of a dorm room but with only 1 person for the whole room.

Any ideas?

And if this is not the place to post a question like this I'm sorry! I just figured digital artists would be great at creating a color scheme.
 
Sounds like fun. What color is the floor? Can you change that?

So let me get this straight, you're in a smallish bedroom, are hanging up this photo on one of the walls, and the opposite wall is going to be an accent color that's different from the other 3 walls? And, of course, you're sticking w/ grayscale and taxi-cab yellow.

Option 1, the loud one, would be to paint the 3 walls black or dark grey, with the accent wall yellow, and trim white or very light grey. Most people will tell you that dark colors make a room look small, but I'm a metal-head and I like it dark, so screw them! :p

Option 2, more mellow and won't freak out your parents, light grey or white walls w/ pretty much any shade of grey for trim (dark grey for contrast, or a light shade that's close to the wall color would have a nice elegant look). the accent wall could be darker grey. DO NOT paint one wall yellow if you're using a lighter grey on the other 3, as I'm pretty sure the lack of contrast there would be outright ugly (white w/ yellow accent is debatable). To add yellow to the lighter room, you're going to want some other accessories around like furniture etc. I also highly recommend you not paint more than one wall yellow, as this gives me a headache just thinking about it. :)
 
like crap! don't do it! :eek:
j/k

yeah - sounds good - similar to option 2 above. If you still want to put yellow in there with the trim, I'd recommend going with a medium to dark grey for the 3 main walls, otherwise you run into the low-contrast clash again. Otherwise just stick with another shade of grey for the trim and you can make them all whatever shade you want.
 
Back
Top