Rome 320 A.D. Digitally Recreated

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ever wanted to roam around ancient Rome? Thanks to the talented folks at the Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities at the University of Virginia, you can do just that. I give you Rome Reborn 1.0.

Visitors to virtual Rome will be able to do even more than ancient Romans did: They can crawl through the bowels of the Coliseum, filled with lion cages and primitive elevators, and fly up for a detailed look at bas-reliefs and inscriptions atop triumphal arches.

As a History weenie with a BA in that field (and a specialization in Ancient Rome in particular), this is exciting to me. I had just been wandering the actual city for my honeymoon a year ago and thinking how something like this project would be wonderful.

So imagine my disappointment when I visited the site and realized that there is actually nothing there other than plans.

So far, it sounds like an ambitious mod for a game that may never seen the light of day. :D

grrrrrr

You made it sound like it was ready to go!

AS another poster mentioned, I visited the site only to be disappointed with nothing but a handful of images of some physicla models.

Will be great once complete though; I look forward to it....for 2015 or so,.

I was fortunate enough to see more of this at the Society of American Archaeology meetings earlier this year. You can get some sense of what's been modeled already in the video clips section under 'Gallery' at the site. Some of the buildings have been reconstructed with incredibly high resolution textures, taken directly from the actual archaeological remains.

When it will be available for all (and for transfering fo FPS mods), however, is a different story altogether....alas.

For a mod in the works that has comparable potential (albeit for the Aztec capital city of Tenochtitlan), check out http://aztecmod.darkesthourgame.com/forums/index.php

"Ever wanted to roam around ancient Rome? Thanks to the talented folks at the Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities at the University of Virginia, you can do just that."

No, you cannot.

Next time please consider a better tag line... like "SOON you will be able to do just that". Very disappointing. :mad:

I thought I could get it to work if I took my computer apart and looked inside but, alas, it was to no avail.

The screen shots look very rudimentary. We had better graphics in 1997. They could start by putting actually textures on everything instead of leaving most surfaces with just a blank color. I know it's for history, but seriously, they could have put a little effort into the graphics engine.

The screen shots look very rudimentary. We had better graphics in 1997. They could start by putting actually textures on everything instead of leaving most surfaces with just a blank color. I know it's for history, but seriously, they could have put a little effort into the graphics engine.

I'd have to agree, watching the videos they showed an extremely slow engine, what was it at 10fps? heh, I know it's kind of lame to complain at a school project sort of thing it's not like they are game developer expected of graphical greatness, but at the same time I've seen mappers single handedly create stunning and highly detailed maps on their own, even making their own textures and models, so in reality they could have done much better...

so we can just put anything on the front page now? I know slip-ups are few and far between, but I'm glad to see ALL of us calling you on it.

tough break.

You are talking about a 3D model of an entire city (a large one at that) designed for educational purposes. It isn'tmeant to be a blazing fast super pretty FPS game.

Back