rolling back win 10 with disk image?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
If I install Windows 10 and don't like it or have issues can I use Macrium reflect and ovewrite the drive with a disk image to put it back the way it was?

As long as you image the current installation BEFORE you do the Windows 10 upgrade, yes, but you must do that image before mucking around with Windows 10 touches that machine, basically.

- image the current installation for safe keeping (and please take the time to verify the image when it's created, yes it takes almost twice as long but better safe than sorry)
- do the upgrade to Windows 10, verify it's activated properly when the upgrade is finished
- if you like it and have no issues, do whatever, if not then you can restore the previously created image of the prior OS without problems

Least that's the general concept.

Just make sure you attempt to do the downgrade if you do the upgrade. This is IMPORTANT. You have 30 days to decide if you like it according to MS, and you retain downgrade rights. So do not just wipe out the Win 10 upgrade by restoring your old disk image. From the way I read the license, by upgrading you are revoking your original OS license. If that is the case and MS enforces it, they can deactivate your old win license.

From Microsoft:
15. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from

Here is how to downgrade and must be done within 30 days of upgrading.

Glad you brought up the os license thing. Hate to bring back an image and MS revoke the license. At this point in time not sure I want to upgrade. All my win 7 and 8 laptops are working just fine. Will wait a couple of months to see how Win 10 works in the real world...

Rollback is easy, and only takes 5 minutes. It's wicked fast. At least on an SSD it is.

Question, if you upgrade, then rollback, can you still upgrade for free to Win 10 or does that also "use up" your free upgrade for that copy of Windows?

Back