Roller Chair Mats

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
I am looking for one of those plastic chair mats to put down on my carpet so I can roll around easier. I found some nice ones on Office Depot / Office Max's websites but they are really expensive. My have carpet in my computer room so I guess it needs to be somewhat think.

Those of you that use a floormat. Where did you get it? Anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for a rectangle one without a little "hump" on the one side. Thanks.

I bought one of those mats from Staples, I believe, for about 15 bucks. Its kinda cheesy because it cracked where one of my chair wheels sits but it seems to do the job protecting the carpet.

I think I got the same mat as mattgyver79, pretty sure it was from Staples for about the same price. And it did crack as well.

As far as the "humps" on one side, they keep the mat from sliding around. The way my room is set up, I always get into/out of the chair from the left side, which pushes the mat slightly to the right. Almost every day I gotta move the chair and pull the mat back about 6" to the left.

Costco! lol. Though, I dont think the ones they carry now are as good as the old ones that I got a few years ago (which are still in good shape).

I saw them at Ikea, but I didn't see them online.

Any I think by the hump on one side he means he wants one that is square or rectangular, not one with a protrusion on one side that sticks out under the desk

Got mine at costco, was nice not to roll across the floor when leaning back.
That said, I nearly broke some windows when I dropped it on my left foot's big toe. I do not recommend doing that.

Xaeon said:
Any I think by the hump on one side he means he wants one that is square or rectangular, not one with a protrusion on one side that sticks out under the desk
Thanks, I thought he was referring to ones with spikes on the bottom and wondered why he called them "humps". The spiked ones stay put, the smooth ones tend to slide around a bit. If and when I buy a new one, it's gonna have spikes. :)

Don't skimp on the price.....the ones that cost more are the thicker harder plastic and will give you both a better rolling surface and last a lot longer. Spend the extra bucks and get the good stuff :cool:

I got tired of rubber/plastic falling apart every few years so I went to Home Depot, bought a sheet of 3/4 MDF and 2 yards of blue office carpet and a pint of carpet glue.

Add one stapler gun and viola...Now I have a perfect chair mat. (the home depot will even cut the board to the size wanted in store...free no less.) whole thing cost less than $25

I just bought one with my new desk today. If you go to the office depot store they have some cheaper ones. I saw one that was $15.99. I wanted something a little thicker but I still only paid 27.99 for it. The difference is like an 1/8 of an inch.

PCMusicGuy said:
Sam's Club has some for pretty cheap.

Bingo. Thanks man theres one place I havent checked. Yeah I think I got one from either OfficeMax or Office Depot that was like $45 bucks, and it was big, like 4' x 6' i think, but when I put it on my floor my chair kinda sunk into it. Didnt roll the greatest so I took it back. Maybe I was just being to picky.

PCMusicGuy - Any idea if Sams Club carries one that are big in size such as a 4' x 6' size? I'm not sure if Sams has an online site, I'll go google it. Thanks.

Edit - nevermind. I found the website. Looks like they have a good selection. Now to see if they have one like I need. Thanks guys.

I think the one I picked up from there was 4' x 6' and I paid 20 or 25 dollars for it. That was about a year ago. Good luck.

Xaeon said:
I saw them at Ikea, but I didn't see them online.

Yes, they have them at Ikea, and Like Xaeon says, they don't show them online for some reason. My office uses these and not a one has been damaged so far in 4 years. They come with a lifetime guarantee not to crack.

I saw something once that I'm going to try.

A guy took a sheet of plywood, cut it to about a 4ft X 6 foot rectangle, and bought a box of Pergo and laid the Pergo down on it. He then use trim pieces around the edges.

It was freakin' gorgious :)

Not cheap, but suprisingly not expensive either.

Heavy though :)

I might try using Pergo for the custom desk I'm designing in my head right now.

Need to find out where one can buy legs only though.

-Larry

i've always been leary of the plastic carpet mats. I used one for a while and found it left a outline of the mat in dirt on the carpet because the plastic doesn't restrict anything from slidding off.

I've used a large indoor/ourdoor ribbed carpet piece for a while now and it's worked great.

Back