• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Roku woes

Raife1

n00b
Joined
Dec 31, 2012
Messages
27
Hello everyone. Hoping someone here can help. I have several issues with my current Roku's that I am struggling with. Set up is as follows:

Path 1 is:

AT&T Fiber at 1Gbps
AT&T gateway
Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-band Wireless Gigabit Router
Roku Ultra connected via Cat6 with manually assigned IP
Denon AVR-X4300H via HDMI
Sony VPL-HW40ES projector via HDMI

Path 2:

AT&T Fiber at 1Gbps
AT&T gateway
Asus RT-AC3200 Tri-band Wireless Gigabit Router
Roku 2 (upgraded version) connected via Cat6 with manually assigned IP
Onkyo RC-260 via HDMI
Samsung 65" via HDMI


NOTE: I do not have dual routers set up (i.e. the AT&T Gateway and the Asus Router). The AT&T unit is just a gateway through the DMZ+ settings.

I have several issues that are driving me insane:
1) Amazon Prime - generally 15-20 minutes into a show or movie (both rented and "free" included with Prime) the show will stop and I get a popup box that says:

"Problem Occured
We are unable to play your video at this time. Please try again in a few minutes or contact Amazon Customer Service at: amazon.com/videohelp.

OK"

2) On the Roku Starz and HBOGO channels the Roku will actually freeze and restart.

3) on Netflix the picture is sometimes "jittery" - this was most noticeable during the show Sherlock

Things I have tried:
1) different Ethernet patch cables
2) different Ethernet ports in the wall
3) different HDMI cables
4) different Rokus (it is how I ended up with the Roku Ultra)
5) wired and wireless connection
6) system updates
7) extensive time with Amazon help desk (I have a special ticket in now- lucky me)
8) uninstalled/reinstalled the apps
9) deregistered/reregistered the Rokus
10) QoS on and off

given it happens across devices I am inclined to think it is something with router...

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
 
Do you have issues when playing viewing Amazon Prime, Starz or HBOGo through a web browser? If you have the same issues then its probably something with your router config.
 
While not an exhaustive test, I was able to play an hour of Amazon prime in a web browser without issues.
 
step 1: toss Roku in the trash, buy an nvidia shield.
step 2: celebrate
 
step 1: toss Roku in the trash, buy an nvidia shield.
step 2: celebrate
I used to own an Nvidia Shield, and the controller de-syncing issue drove me nuts.
Never had that problem with my Roku.

Though my Roku 3 uses too much power at idle, so it gets hot and then doesn't work right sometimes due to the heat, and I need to unplug it for a while for it to cool down...

God damn it. Why can't they make one of these boxes that *just works*
 
I have seen the slight stutters, on occasion, and all I do is pause the output for 4 seconds and they clear up.

Other than that, I have not had any other issues with either of our Roku's.
 
I have not had any problems with my Roku Ultra other than the occasional pixelating ( reduced resolution ) on Amazon Prime. It seems that Amazon doesn't have as many servers dedicated to streaming as NetFlix and the other subscription channels. I try not to stream during peak hours and my internet service is a craptacular 30/5. My router is a Linksys WRT1900AC.
 
Back
Top