Roku Stick to replace Google Chromecast?

kuhla

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Chromecast but I'm just not too thrilled with it. Not being able to easily stream local media is a big part of that dissatisfaction along with limited application support (even though the SDK came out recently) among other things.

I'm not the only one using this and for the others using this, I do like the idea of using their tablets (mix of android and ios) as the remote which both devices (roku + chromecast) do support with their own apps.

The ability of the Roku to function stand-alone is kind of nice too, unlike the chromecast. I believe it can also be cast to from a PC.

Anyone have any experiance with Roku's stick?
Any other android-stream-on-stick devices I should look at?
Thoughts in general about the Chromecast?

roku - http://www.roku.com/products/compare

EDIT: I should clarify I would be looking at the 3500R - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku_Streaming_Player

Last edited:
The old Roku stick was meant for a projector. The new stick isn't out yet. Spec-wise it seems somewhere between a Roku 1 or a Roku 2 for the price of a Roku 1. I see it displacing the LT in their lineup . The drawback is the lack of connectivity options, no wireless, no audio out except HDMI, no component video for old TVs. At the same time its get a discrete size. The stupid sky blue color though kind of kills that part of it if the stick shows at all.

I'm getting one (and considering painting it black).

A dedicated remote is not bad for less tech savvy people and very young children vs. a phone/tablet remote, imho.

Plex just opened up chromecast support for all users. Set up a plex server where all your local media is and you can cast it right to your chromecast, or any chromecast for that matter

Plex just opened up chromecast support for all users. Set up a plex server where all your local media is and you can cast it right to your chromecast, or any chromecast for that matter

This right hur

But I feel the streaming stick will have much more capability.

I have been using Plex with chromecast for the past 2 months (PlexPass user). Plays all my mkv files without any issues. Its a pretty good setup for accessing my personal media in secondary viewing areas (desk and workout room).

Back