Roku 4

Riccochet

Fully [H]
Have any of the bugs been worked out of the new Roku 4? I bought one at release and the fan was ridiculously loud at times, it would freeze up requiring resets (6 times in 1 day) and sometimes the interface would double in size requiring a reset.

I need a H.265 compatible player to use with Plex for my living room and this is the best thing available. I suppose the FireTV, but reviews on that are meh, at best.

What sayeth the [H]?

Isn't that the point of plex? It re-encodes on the fly so you don't have to worry about codec compatibility.

Isn't that the point of plex? It re-encodes on the fly so you don't have to worry about codec compatibility.

My server can't handle H.265 either. An upgrade on it is in the works, but I also need another Roku for the house.

I know it defeats the purpose of the roku but plex home theater will do h265, but that means a compatible pc so the braswell n3150 unless you need 4k then a geforce 950 or a display port to hdmi 2 adapter is needed.

I think the new Amazon boxes do h265 but I have yet to try one. Also not sure of the plex app on there.

I can't confirm this but some people have reported using H.265 With a Nexus Player through Kodi. Would that be an option? I personally run my movies off a Synology NAS with 4 Nexus Players through out the house all with Kodi. I'm interested to hear how it works as well as I'm running out of room on my NAS and would like to start using H.265.

The Nexus Player uses a 64-bit Intel Atom CPU compared to most other devices using an ARM Processor... Just an FYI

Sadly, the Roku4 does not have the power to decode h.265 no matter what the documentation says. I know this because my main PC can play those files fine, but none of my Roku's can. Nor can my PS4, XB360. And this is only 1080P lossless h.265.

It's only a handful of movies in my collection I'm having issues with. Mainly every Star Wars rip. Bah.

I did connection my laptop to my TV and it'll play those files fine as well.

I doubt they have the issues worked out with the Roku 4. I read all the issues and decided against it for now. The fan issue is bothersome. I think something else happened though and I have no idea why...I have a Roku 2XS I'm using and not long ago a software update came out that created freezing issues, no remote response, etc. My parents did the same thing. It was essentially some of the same issues that plague the 4. I have a Fire stick but I can't get used to it and it simply collects dust.

Sub'd for interest. For now, I'm playing with my Xpenology box.

I doubt they have the issues worked out with the Roku 4. I read all the issues and decided against it for now. The fan issue is bothersome. I think something else happened though and I have no idea why...I have a Roku 2XS I'm using and not long ago a software update came out that created freezing issues, no remote response, etc. My parents did the same thing. It was essentially some of the same issues that plague the 4. I have a Fire stick but I can't get used to it and it simply collects dust.

Sub'd for interest. For now, I'm playing with my Xpenology box.

The fan issue seems to be a non-issue on my new Roku4. It's damn near dead silent. I can only hear it when I'm 1-2 feet away or less. And even then I have to listen for it. The unit does get abnormally warm. Best to keep it in an open area where it can breathe a bit.

I was really hoping it would have the horsepower needed for at least 1080p h.265, especially when they are touting it as a 4K capable device. I don't see how that's even remotely possible considering my own experience with it.

Back