ROG Announces XG Station 2

HardOCP News

[H] News
Even though the power and compactness of laptops have made leaps and bounds over the years, we as gamers always crave for moar power as game developers continually ramp up the resolution and fidelity of the latest games. Now your fantasy of carrying an ultra-portable laptop (such as the ASUS Transformer 3 Pro T303UA) when out and about and using it as a gaming powerhouse when you get home - has become a reality. The new ROG XG Station 2 can upgrade compatible laptops to full desktop gaming performance. The most attractive part is the ability to upgrade the graphics card solution for your laptop whenever you like.

The centerpiece of the station is an ROG-themed plasma tube, it gives you a sense of the power and futuristic tech within. Don't be surprised if you find yourself staring at it like a hypnotized mosquito. The window on the side reveals the graphics card and all the additional lights surrounding it, through software you can synchronize the RGB lighting effects the way you like it. All the latest ROG Strix graphics cards support Aura Sync and GPU Tweak II to help you get the best performance possible.

"ROG has chosen to only support selected ASUS laptops" ...done reading. NEXT!

Reactions: raz-0
like this
What the fuck is a rog themed plasma tube and why would I want it? What it is this crap?

"ROG has chosen to only support selected ASUS laptops" ...done reading. NEXT!

Exactly what I thought. Their reasoning was pretty lame too... " it would be a travesty to connect this to a single-core processor laptop with USB 3.0 for example. That's why ROG has chosen to only support selected ASUS laptops"

The last ASUS product I bought was the CUSL2-C Black Pearl edition. Ah the feels; what a great board. That said, you better pray you never have to deal with ASUS support. This product is interesting, but too bad I cannot stand ASUS laptop design and build quality.

At first I thought this was some kind of bread you put your laptop in to make a laptop sammich. I guess its just an external docking station like the Alienware and the Razer enclosures? You know whats going to happen right? In a year or so USB-C will be a forgotten memory and something else will take its place, or PCI-E will be replaced or something retarded.

Wow. this is pretty weak. I've been waiting on this release for a while, as a hopeful upgrade to my CAD / rendering / video editing workflow. When this was launched at CES 2016, It was supposed to have (2) TB3 ports, supporting a combined pcie 3.0 x8 configuration. Linus did a video on it too.
It is kinda sad, as this would go really well with the HP zbook g3 15, as it can technically support (2) TB3 ports simultaneously.

Even though the power and compactness of laptops have made leaps and bounds over the years, we as gamers always crave for moar power as game developers continually ramp up the resolution and fidelity of the latest games. Now your fantasy of carrying an ultra-portable laptop (such as the ASUS Transformer 3 Pro T303UA) when out and about and using it as a gaming powerhouse when you get home - has become a reality. The new ROG XG Station 2 can upgrade compatible laptops to full desktop gaming performance. The most attractive part is the ability to upgrade the graphics card solution for your laptop whenever you like.

The centerpiece of the station is an ROG-themed plasma tube, it gives you a sense of the power and futuristic tech within. Don't be surprised if you find yourself staring at it like a hypnotized mosquito. The window on the side reveals the graphics card and all the additional lights surrounding it, through software you can synchronize the RGB lighting effects the way you like it. All the latest ROG Strix graphics cards support Aura Sync and GPU Tweak II to help you get the best performance possible.

Is there enough of a market for a product that relies on a proprietary interconnect and an even more restrictive platform (some ROG products only) to make developing this worthwhile? I would love to see external GPU docks become a mainstream product rather than a fad, but so far it seems that every company is going out of their way to develop something that only a couple of people already committed to a particular brand can utilize. People complain on here about Apple pulling shit like this all the time...

Back