ROFL, holy smokes my comp REFUSES to put windows on!!

kjm2003

[H]ard|Gawd
Can anyone please tell me what in gods name this error is:
DSC01213.JPG

when i try to put it on either this happens, it restarts or does nothing....or if i get past this part to the part wherer it starts coping the files, it says cannot copy the file:

Spec:
Duron 1.2
ASUS A7V133
256MB SDR
30GB HD
200W PSU

I used to get file copy errors during win xp installs on an older system that had a via chipset and sb live card, I think there was some issue of file corruption with the live and that chipset. Yanked out the live and it installed fine. Now moved on passed both via and creative and haven't looked back.

Originally posted by kjm2003
Can anyone please tell me what in gods name this error is:
200W PSU
That 200W starts to worry me.

Try doing it with just the minimal components.

The 200W PSU may be a problem; Athlons (& Durons) really prefer a 300W minimum PSU.

One problem I had with installing XP on my system was that certain files would not copy over. When copying them, the system would just freeze. Left it for over an hour, and nothing worked. Turned out it was the HD. All the tools I had said the drive was OK, but when I swapped the HD XP installed fine. If you have another drive around maybe you can try this and see? And check that PSU..

boot from Windows98 Disk
format C: drive
Create directory called I386 on Hard Drive (md I386)
Boot with 98 Boot disk with CD ROM support
COPY (or xcopy if ya can find it) the I386 folder off the Windows disk to the C:/I386

after copying, go to C:/I386 directory and type WINNT

See if it installs from there.

Originally posted by fibroptikl
That 200W starts to worry me.

Try doing it with just the minimal components.

Yeh, my friend got similar results with the live in... try what fibroptikl suggested, that might werk..

good luck

If you're getting that error while booting from the CD, check for scratches...

Have you tried some different ram? Bad ram can give you odd errors in different places. I would try just one stick from another box if you have one. If you don't try rearranging your ram in different slots.

Also getting a better PSU might help if your components aren't getting enough power.

awsome thx for all those suggestions...........i will later try all of them.............

thx again

I don't know if my experience with W2K will apply to you, but every time I tried to install W2K with the two memory sticks I have, it would give a bad install. So I always installed with one stick in the memory slot.

Trap 6 -- I believe that's referring to Interrupt/Exception 6, which would be an "Invalid Opcode". In other words, the machine code the processor is garbage that the CPU doesn't understand. When a normal program does this, then the program is terminated, and you get one of those "send information to microsoft" screens. When the Kernel encounters an Invalid Opcode, it has no choice but to halt everything. It's the only safe thing to do.

I suspect you're looking for things you can try to eliminate this problem. It could be, as others have suggested, that there's not enough power. That can cause memory to become corrupted, and/or the CPU to act strangely. It could be a bad CPU. Could be bad memory. Could be overheating (I used to have that problem in a 150 seat computer lab I managed (one of many labs) where the air conditioning sucked).

Hopefully you've got access to additional parts you can use for testing. Try a beefier power supply if you can. Try other memory. Try a different CPU.

If I were you, and didn't have access to parts for testing, I would start by checking the temperature. Is there a CPU fan? Is it actually spinning? Next I would buy a better power supply. Wait, make that that I would buy a really good power supply, not just a 'better' one. Then replace memory (keep the old memory though), then the CPU, and finally the motherboard. At this point you should have tracked the problem down, and have most of the components (minues the one true bad one) to build yourself a second system.
:D

I ran into that EXACT SAME error last week when trying to upgrade my friend's computer. I had to use the 4 Win2k boot floppy's, then delete all the partitions. Just so as not to take any chances I just went along and installed Win2k, then popped the XP CD in after it finished and just upgraded straight from 2k to XP.

worked fine for me.

If it's a disk problem nuking the partition table may help. (Hope you don't have anything else on there.)
I usually do it by loading up a linux install CD, then once you get to the partitioning screen (some distros, ie- redhat create device files on the fly), find the dev for your HD (I'll assume /dev/hda, though on RH it's likely to be /tmp/hda or something like that), and just do dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
Let it run a few seconds, then CAD to reboot. Or just hit reset. That'll overwrite the beginning of the disk w/ 0s.

Back