Roccat Kone+ Quick Look

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Having used an Intellimouse Explorer followed by a Logitech MX1000 for a number of years I had switched to a Razer Copperhead (which just was the wrong mouse for me) and then on to a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 (which recently broke). When I looked around for a larger mouse not a whole lot of good choices came up though someone in the what gaming mouse do you use/love? thread suggested the Roccat Kone+.

Unfortunately there's no US supplier for this mouse and so I ordered one from the UK in mid January. It finally arrived and here is a write-up on couple things that immediately stood out to me.

I will spare you the unboxing etc, you can check Youtube there are a few videos out there about the unboxing and the drivers.

The mouse is made in China (what isn't these days) but it has a high quality feel to it. Just like with so many other mice manufacturers Roccat too insisted on placing a sticker around the sensor opening which will eventually start to accumulate dust/gunk. To me that's truly disappointing.

Even with all four 5g weights installed my subjective feel is that the mouse is lighter than the X8 (which I have already tossed so I can't compare). The Roccat Kone+ weighs in at 5.1 oz. I have a Logitech G700 here as comparison and it weighs 5.4 oz, which feels better to me as I like heavier mice. Of course the X8 and the G700 are wireless and the internal battery contributes to the weight.

Another disappointment was that the mouse wasn't recognized as such by Windows 7 Pro 64bit. It did recognize that a USB device was attached but that was the end of it, the "failed to install/locate driver" message appeared. While this isn't a deal breaker it certainly is annoying and just plain bizarre. The mouse was recognized after a reboot, even without drivers installed.

I took some pics (hosted on Imageshack, just mentioning this for those who have it blocked) to compare the Kone+ to the G700.

This one shows the Kone+ and the G700 in length comparison. The two mice have basically the same length:

When it comes to width the Kone+ is a bit wider and/or simply differently shaped than the G700. I didn't take a pic of the arch but while the G700 arch is higher the Kone+ feels better for palm grip since it is wider. The G700 feels a tad too narrow for my palm grip:

Another minor gripe I have about the Kone+ is the thickness and rigidness of the cord. Razer has certainly shown that cords can be thinner and more flexible. The Sidewinder X8 cord was extremely thin and flexible in comparison to the Kone+ but also the Copperhead. Ignore the dust on the copperhead, I just pulled it out of the garage to take this shot:

Other than these issues the mouse has a good feel to it. Love the way it is customizable and the EasyShift+ which lets you essentially double up on mouse button assignments. The mouse wheel is not spinning freely as with the G700, it has a very tactile "click and stop" while scrolling unlike the G700's wheel which you can give a little bump and it will spin for the next 15 seconds.

Of all the mice I had in recent years, and considering that the MX1000 with its 1000dpi is really too low res for today's monitors, I like the Roccat Kone+ best in how it fits my hand. Buying this mouse was also yet another reminder of how subjective mouse feel is. The G700 appears to be a great mouse, but it just doesn't feel right in my hand while the Kone+ is close to perfect.

I paid $112 shipped for it, $85 for the mouse and $27 for shipping. I do think that it's worth the $85 which basically puts it into the same price range as other high end mice. I also think that a total of $112 is a bit much but what can you do when they don't sell it in the US.

I bought this from AireTech IT and would not buy from them again. Order processing and communication were excellent but packaging was sub par. The mouse was shipped in two layers of small bubble wrap and a plastic bag. If I were to order something from Europe again I would insist on the item being shipped in a box. The mouse arrived in perfect condition but the retail packaging was significantly dented/smashed which would have been very embarrassing if this would have been intended as a gift rather than for personal use.

Nice little quick review and comparison pictures.

This should also be a warning to those who think you need to spend $70+ or whatever on a mouse... You can still get extremely good feeling/high quality mice on a much lower budget, but that usually depends on the features (you most likely never need).

I bought this mouse about three months ago. Unfortunately, the scroll wheel has developed a problem (see here for more info). I contacted ROCCAT tech support via e-mail and was told that it's a hardware defect and I should contact the reseller (Medusa USA). So I contacted them and they told me to contact the company that handles ROCCAT's warranties (Merencourt Europe). I e-mailed them and received a prompt, polite response asking me to fill out an RMA form and pointing out that I would need to ship the mouse to Europe for replacement. Unfortunately, the cheapest method of shipping (USPS) costs nearly $50 (and that doesn't include any duty fees). UPS/FedEx want $100+ to ship the mouse. In addition, I would also have to pay for return shipping from Europe back to the US. The Merencourt rep didn't give me a quote for that but I suspect that it won't be cheap. I took a chance buying this mouse (which cost $105) knowing that it wasn't readily available in the US market. Unfortunately, the mouse failed (which may or may not be a common problem if you followed the link above) and now it will cost nearly as much as a new mouse to get it replaced. I'm not willing to part with that much money again so I'm left with an expensive paper weight. :-( This issue aside, I really did like the mouse and thought that it was well built. If you're in the US and thinking about buying one, though, I'd recommend doing some research to find out how wide spread this mouse wheel problem is before spending $100+.

Different mouse, bmt22033. This is the Kone+ AKA Kone Plus. It was the original Kone (both V1 and V2) that had the mouse wheel problems.

Different mouse, bmt22033. This is the Kone+ AKA Kone Plus. It was the original Kone (both V1 and V2) that had the mouse wheel problems.

Yeah, that's what I have. The Kone[+]. Check the YouTube link I referenced. I know the original Kone had a scroll wheel problem which was supposedly improved in the Kone v2. I never read anything about the newer Kone[+] having any problems, though. I had hoped it was a firmware issue but that appears to not be the case, now. :-(

Wow. So all 3 Kone models have mousewheel problems of some kind... brutal :(

Appreciate you bringing this up.. I had been eying the Kone for potential purchase if it ever saw distribution in north america.

Performance-PCs.com, in Florida, has the Kone+ for $105. :eek::eek::eek:

That's what I paid for it. :-( And the sad thing is that it would actually be cheaper to buy another one than to pay for shipping/duty to and from the UK to get this one replaced under warranty. But that's the chance I took by buying the mouse so I guess I can't really blame anyone but myself. It was an expensive lesson learned.

My Roccat Kone+ came in the mail this past Monday (ordered from Performance-PCs). No issues so far. I'm loving it, and hoping that nothing ever goes wrong. :eek:

I've had my Kone+ almost 2 months , haven't had any scroll problems , or any other problems for that matter .

Still using my Death Adder here. Nothing fits in my hand quite as nicely as the Death Adder. Hope you enjoy your new mouse.

Hey OP, Performance-pcs.com and medusa-usa.com have had the Kone+ for a long time now... you just needed to look harder.

I like the Kone+, it handles many of the problems/gripes that I had with the Kone. Its better, but not perfect. Its still overpriced, most likely because Roccat is a Speedlink brand. To me, there are many better mice out there for less money.

Performance-PCs.com

Not sure about these guys. I ordered 2 Antec TrueQuiet 120 and for some reason they had been opened which I dislike greatly. Even for a fan. I emailed them to ask why and never heard a word. Just a thought.:(

For people who like big mice and thumb buttons (think intellimouse explorer 3.0, and mx1000) this mouse is great.

Easy to bind, responsive, comfortable- a great mouse.

I've had one for 6 months now.

The only way I could improve it would be by adding a third mouse button.

Hate to bump an old thread but now that Roccat sells through US dealers such as Amazon, TD, and Newegg, I wonder what kind of warranty is offered. I just bought a Kone [+] from Amazon, & it seems like a very nice mouse, but Im having a hard time trying to find out about the warranty on the mouse.

Back